Is it possible that I can do this?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by bnm81002, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I would like to know if it is possible to copy/burn the image(Tivo's Software) onto a CD, since both my Philips units have version 6.2a software(image) and the 2 original drives still have 6.2 version, I wanted to burn the 6.2a images onto a CD, can I do that? thanks

PS-both units are hacked with zipper otherwise I would just let the original drives upgrade themselves to version 6.2a

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Just make a backup image of your 6.2a drive on a hard drive or a usb stick using mfslive. After that you can put the image on a cd or anywhere else you want.

3. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Maybe I just need to research this a bit more, but is it possible to take a DSR6000 with two drives, grab the image, and put it down onto one drive? If so, can it be done while saving all of the recordings? My DSR6000 is starting to bite the bullet and I"d like to save everything if possible.

Any links are greatly appreciated -- I haven't found anything about shrinking down to one drive yet...

Thanks. :)

CW

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I dont know about your specific unit but search for the term "divorce" or "divorcing"

5. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    It looks like MFSLive will help:
    http://www.mfslive.com/softwareguidep3.htm#series1

I might have to try that this week. Unfortunately, I don't know that I'll be able to save recordings since there's the 137M limit and I have a 120G and a 40G drive in it currently. :(

I might try a 2 drive to 2 drive copy (or I suppose just try the backup and reimage a single drive, losing my recordings).

Regardless, I'll figure something out :)

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Is it possible to get a larger drive? Then you can put the two drives onto one and keep your recordings.

7. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think that the series 1 DirecTiVo (DSR6000) supports drives larger than 137G, does it? If it does, that'd be awesome since I have a 250G drive sitting in the box in my office... But I don't think it does. :(

8. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    It will work if you use the appropriate kernel. See this thread : http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=198444 for info on using the copykern utility to install the correct kernel.

9. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ahh, many thanks!!! I'll have to read that whole thread and see what to do, but it looks like I'll get to save my drives AND increase my capacity - fingers crossed, thanks!!!