Is it possible for a Tivo to change TV channels for you when you are remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, Oct 20, 2011.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I have a slingbox. It has a software product called a "virtual remote control."

If you have internet access then you can get your "virtual remote" to change TV channels for you. It is fairly easy to flip from channel to channel to channel.

Is there any way to do this with a series 2 Tivo? Or a Tivo premiere?

I am not talking about scheduling a recording on a Tivo in order to change channels that way. I am talking about flipping through different channels while not recording anything.

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,

TC

p.s........ before anyone asks, I am wanting to get rid of my slingbox.

2. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    TC, why would you need to change channels remotely if you are not watching the TiVo? Is there a bigger problem you are trying to solve by changing channels?
    My cable box has a setting where it can be turned on by changing channels. Why would I want that setting turned on? Because when there is a power outage the cable box does not go all the way on.

3. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Yes, there is more to this story...... but I did not want to bore you with details :)

In a nutshell, I want to be able to use the internet(and my home network) to change TV channels. I am open to any and all suggestions.

I have a Tivo premiere in one room. It has a cable card.

I also have a Tivo series 2 in another room. It has a set top box which is controlled by the Tivo Series 2.

I would be happy if I could change the TV channels on either one of these things.

Is there some device with an IR blaster that can change channels on the settop box and can also be hooked up to a home network? I want to pay $50 or less. I saw this thing but it is waaaaay too expensive -------> http://www.squareconnect.com/products.html

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to use Microsoft Media Center to change TV channels? I am able to control my home PC remotely. So if my PC can be used to change channels then that would be a possible solution for me. I could log into my PC remotely, and then tell it to change the TV channel.

TC

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Series 3 and later TiVos offer a network remote control interface. (Sadly it has not been ported to Series 2, although there is no hardware limitation.) You can use a variety of programs with it, including the one in my sig.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Basically yes.

For Series 2s with a cable or other box, the TiVo does the actual channel changing on the box.

For Series 1/2 on analog cable, or Series 2/3 models, the TiVo tunes the channels itself.