Is it me or is DirecTV HD a ripoff?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BBQ Chicken, Dec 23, 2005.

1. BBQ Chicken

BBQ Chicken Bling Bling

Nov 26, 2002
    west coast
    I'm new to HD, just got a set. I have directv currently with my old tv and enjoy it, but it seems like it will be a big pain to upgrade to HD because to get local channels I will have to set up a huge antenna? And if I want to record I'll have to buy a 600 dollar tivo and get a new sattelite dish, also it doesn't look like DirecTV has many channels in HD anyway. I can't stand watching standard TV on my new set now, it looks awful.

From what I understand i could for a whole lot cheaper get HD and a DVR from comcast and not have to worry about using an antenna for locals.. or would I? This is all so confusing, I just want to watch NFL games in HD.

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Well, it's your call. All I know is when they offered the $299-$100MIR deal in August, I jumped on it. Still waiting on the rebate though, supposed to show up this week. I get two networks in HD, CBS and FOX (crucial for the NFL), and there's only one local station broadcasting in HD, NBC, that would require my putting up an antenna. That's one of the reasons I've delayed on that. I'm getting the HD package for $6 mo. until the middle of next month and I'll see what might get added and make a decision then. If all new channels are for MPEG-4 only and I'm not offered a free switch, I'll probably cancel.

"West Coast" is a really vague location description, so I'll assume you know whether or not if MPEG-4 locals are available where you are. I'll also assume you don't qualify for distants. If it were me and I could get all of the networks in HD instead of just one, I'd have put that antenna up awhile ago.

3. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Yes it's a total rip off. They sell you a DVR when cable give you a DVR. You pay for the service but they give you 2 or 3 channels os ftuff like sports and an areal to put on the roof to receive all the free stuff most people get without paying DirecTV for.

IMO if you wan't HD then Cable is your friend, at least it will be 100% your friend when the CC HD TiVo becomes available.

4. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    That's false info right there. Cable doesn't give you anything more than any pay service does, you lease their equipment and you lease it for as long as you're a customer AND it can be pretty substantial on your monthly bill.

5. smith13

smith13 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    First of all you won't need a huge antenna for local hd. Just get the winegard antenna, it's no bigger that your dish and is easy to set up. Second of all, how much football are you going to be able to watch in hd on cable? Not much because they don't have sunday ticket. But hey it's your money that you invested into that expensive t.v. to get hd programming so you decide.

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The PVR and STB are priced well. What is a rip is the HD Pak. Some of the channels in this package go 4 days running with no HD programs (ESPNHD2).

My antenna cost me a whopping $1.79. I'm a lot happier with that than the grand I just sunk into satellite radio, which I still can't receive consistently and makes the compression used by DTV look generous.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL New Member

May 10, 2005

D* has absolutely NOTHING to do with the content broadcast on ESPN2HD so you can't blame them for the lack of HD content.

8. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I didn't blame them for the content of ESPNHD2, and if you'd care to actually read and comprehend my post, you should be able to understand that. I blamed them for adding a useless channel devoid of much HD content to the HD Pak, which they had EVERYTHING to do with. TNT-HD would have been a much better choice.

9. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    Hi BBQ.

Long time,no see. Welcome back!

10. kapurcell

kapurcell Happy DTivox2 User

Nov 18, 2005
    Even if the "lease" is $15 a month, it would take 3 years to pay for what you pay out of pocket for a HDTivo from DTV. Plus you have the benefit of not having to fork it all out at once.

DTV is not ready for mass HDTV so it's not incentivising it with price. When they get more channels in HD I believe we will see lower costs. I hope anyway.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Each locale is different. Where one person lives they may be able to get all networks via their cable company or even OTA. Where I'm at, I get the networks from DirecTV. TWC here only has ABC-HD since that is the only station that is broadcasting HD (other than PBS).

12. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Cake or Death

Jan 2, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    Different strokes. PErsonally I think UHD is a waste, since I never watch it. I have watched much more HD on ESPN2HD than UHD.

To the op, why will you have to setup a huge antenna? Are you that far from the towers? check www.antennaweb.org to find out how far you are. For the most part, cable co's usually have the local stations in HD, if they broadcast HD.

13. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I thought WBNG was HD, Jim. WENY (NBC) is the only one here. I get conflicting reports about ABC over TWC. They show on their web site that they're using WIVT out of Bingotown, but I'm told by actual subscribers that there is no ABC-HD.

kaprucell- I don't know where you get 3 years from, but as I said I used the special back in August so it would be more like 13 mos. if you're using the cable equivalent of $15/mo. Then again, I'd have to add an extra 25 cents a month because TWC tacks on a separate charge for a remote to control the unit. :rolleyes:

14. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Going slightly off topic to answer this. WBNG is broadcasting OTA digitally, but no HD. They may be providing an HD feed to TWC, but since I gave up on TWC a couple of years ago I can't say for sure. I can only say what I see. WIVT is broadcasting HD OTA. Their picture is quite good, infact a little better than WABC I get with DirecTV. But, WIVT isn't passing through DD5.1. I do believe that TWC is carrying WIVT-HD. Maybe the subscribers you talked to were only thing about the SD feed.

We can continue this here if you want.
    http://www.rochesterhdtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=60

15. Jim Abbett

Jim Abbett New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Heck, I paid $750 for a single box and dish when they first came out AND had to install it myself.

Now for around $450 I got a dish, HD DVR, 2 extra boxes and installation along with small credits and a $100 rebate (I hope).

Others have gotten better deals but it's better than what I had before. :)

16. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    If you're in L.A., you should be able to get CBS, ABC, NBC & FOX HD off of the satellite.

Setting up an OTA antenna is not that big a deal really. It works seemlessly with the HR10-250.

While D* is the only one with Sunday ticket, and Sunday Ticket in HD, you should be able to pick up a few games a week in HD without it, including a few Sunday games, Sunday night football (on NBC), and Monday night football on ESPN-HD. All next year of course.

-smak-

17. Texceo

Texceo New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    It Is You! :rolleyes:

18. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    no

read my post here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=277929 to know my opinion about this.

if you can't stand watching SD content then get a HD tivo. simple. if you don't want to pay $300.- or $400.- for it now and $11.- a months than wait a few more years.

but don't expect to get true HD (with tivo) for free anytime soon.

19. KyLafoon

KyLafoon New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Jim, Have you ever taken a tour of the McIntosh Lab up there in Binghampton? Isn't that where McIntosh Labs are located?

20. mroe

mroe New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    I have just the standard DTV Tivo, I like it a lot, but I'd really like to go to HD. I had it when I had Cox Cable, so it really does look good. But from what I've been reading so far, I think I'm going to wait for the next generation unit to come out. I did call and see what they had to offer, and they said 6 channels. WOW! for an additinal $10.00 per month??? NOT!! So hopefully when they come out with the new unit, they'll have some more channels up.