Is it me, or does IMDb suddenly suck...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...for episode cast credits? Since I got my smart phone, I often check IMDb when watching a show to see who that person is and where I know them from. And in the past, I almost always got the information I was looking for. But the past few weeks, IMDb almost never has good information on the episode casts credits. It's startling how dramatically it's switched from almost always yes to almost always no, which makes me wonder what has changed?

I remember the annoyance of having to pause the TiVo and run into the other room to look somebody up. But I guess now those were the good old days! :D

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've had my netbook regularly stationed next to my tv-watching chair for 2 years now, for this very purpose. Convenient. Of course, my computer is in the same room, but it does keep me from having to get up and walk across the room. Now I can choose between my netbook and new Touchpad.

As for your original point, I haven't noticed a change. I don't think IMDB has ever been the best for episode credits. I find that a bit frustrating, as I like to know who the guest stars are. I think the extended 'info' on the Tivo guide data is often better than IMDB.

3. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I hate the format change.
    Previously it was all right there and now you have to go a clickin'.

4. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    I think they've always had some lag with specific episode casts. Several times I've had to google guest stars after striking out IMDB. I haven't tried much this season to notice if it's worse.

Could some of it be that you're watching shows closer to the air date?

5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I find thervdb.com to be better for TV shows.

6. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm with Rob...and just had the same frustration with a guest star on Parks and Recreations...Had to find the actress's name elsewhere. It used to be very easy to get that kind of info there, but not anymore...

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Well, after all. it is the Internet Movie Database, not the Internet Television Episode Database. :)

8. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Hmmm, do you use thetvdb.com when you are searching for recreational vehicles? ;)

9. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    It seems you can still find all the info but like Cearbhaill said there is too much clicking now. Most of the info used to be in a nice single linear page on the PC and m.imdb.com pages. I really hate how on the main version the info doesn't load until you scroll down the page. I guess they're trying to save money on bandwidth or something. The app (for Android) is just horrible.

10. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Active Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    I don't think it is "suddenly." I think it has been a steady decline each time they have changed the format of the site.

11. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Anecdotally, yes. I tried to look up an episode of American Horror Story a few days later, and they didn't have the 2nd episode yet. Other times, the episode is up, but they don't have a particular minor character listed.

12. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    The new format is horrible.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hint: it wasn't "suddenly"

I prefer Tv.com for their episode guides but there's usually a one or two day lag in their updates.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    IMDb's info is user submitted, so it's not likely to be submitted and approved that soon after the episode airs.

My biggest complaint about the IMDB app for iPhone is that when an actor is listed as having appeared in an episode of a TV show, then you click on that and it just takes you to the general listing for the show. It's virtually impossible to find the actual episode that the actor appeared in.

15. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    tv.com also has cast for each episode. I don't know if it's updated better imdb, though.

16. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    My theory is for years IMDB sucked at their online presence but their information was accurate. They worked really hard at getting that part right. Now they have turned into a media company and have upped their IT production with apps and development on the IT side. Work more on movie and TV news, press events like awards shows and such. Because of all this I bet the reduced their work force in the research side and moved it all to media and IT.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IIRC, you can change imdb to a classic layout look.. it sounded like one complaint in this thread is the look, not the lack of info.

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    How? Would love that back.

19. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    You have to register to change/save your preferences. Then go to this page:

https://secure.imdb.com/register-imdb/siteprefs

And tick "Show previous title and name page design (reference view):"