Is it me or are there more characters leaving as of late? SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Worf, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Nov 6, 2019 #1 of 17
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Not sure if it's me, but it seems in maybe the past couple of years many regular characters have left their shows.

I know a lot of the time it's usually because they got pulled into another show, or decide to retire from the rigors of filming, but it seems the past couple a number of the regular cast have decided to walk.

Of course, it's usually followed by the character dying in some fashion. I'm just wondering if it's something recent that more have done it, or if it's just the shows I watch. Even worse, there can be little notice and practically no news when it happens, so you see the funeral of the character and you wonder what the actor's up to and there's nothing. Nothing about new shows, nothing about wanting more time with family or whatever.

Is it just me?

2. Nov 6, 2019 #2 of 17
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Some examples, just this season alone we had Otis from Chicago Fire (Yuri Sardarov), and LaSalle from NCIS NOLA (Lucas Black). And I'm sure if I dig deep down, I can rmeember the 2-3 others who have left as well this season and past.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2019 #3 of 17
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    can't say i've noticed anything out of the ordinary, but the two you mentioned are filming or have completed movies, you can check their imdb pages:

yuri sardarov
    lucas black

4. Nov 6, 2019 #4 of 17
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Characters leaving shows is just a common occurrence. They either leave for personal reasons or because the producers want the show to go in a different direction. This is especially true of any long running show on any of the major networks. Filming up to 24 episodes a year is a grueling task for any actor and many of them simply can't take the pace. Sometimes the actors just plain don't get along and either quit or are fired. It's actually rare for a show that runs for 5 years or more to retain the original cast for the entire run. It's hard to keep a show fresh for that long so changing cast members is one thing they will do to gain renewed interest in a show.

5. Nov 6, 2019 #5 of 17
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OR - they are cutting show costs and are written off/disappear to save money.
    I'm talking to you Madame Secretary.

Mikeguy and Steveknj like this.
  6. Nov 6, 2019 #6 of 17
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Dr Rhodes (Colin Donnel) and Dr Bekker (Norma Kuhling) from Chicago Med and Dawson (Jon Seda) from PD as well.

7. Nov 6, 2019 #7 of 17
    Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I have to say that I absolutely HATE the new doctor who replaced Dr. Rhodes!!! I wish they would bring back Colin Donnel!!!!!!!!!!

8. Nov 6, 2019 #8 of 17
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Dr Marcel (Dominic Rains) is awful, everything about him starting with that horrific NOLA Cajun/Southern accent. I hate the way that the whole Rhodes story line was killed off (heh heh) and then just bailed out with no goodbye moment for the staff.

9. Nov 6, 2019 #9 of 17
    gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I should really know better than to open up a thread like this without being caught up on shows I watch.

10. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Yeah. Same here.

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Yet, back in the day, a show would maintain the same character with different actors. e.g., In the 1960s "Bewitched" had two different Darrin Stevens and two different Gladys Kravitz. In the 1950s "Superman" had two different Lois Lane(s). Could current shows manage the same strategy successfully?

12. hizhonor

hizhonor Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Ferguson, MO
    Tim Allen's Last Man Standing has had some success with this. First replaced was the eldest daughter early in the run. With the reboot and change of network they replaced the actors that played the middle daughter and grandson.

13. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Rosanne did it with the two Beckys.

Mikeguy and bruab like this.
  14. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Jerry Seinfeld had a different Dad in season 1 (episodes 1 - 6) vs. the rest of the series

15. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    After replacing Becky, one of the episodes was bagging on Bewitched for changing Darrin's "as if nobody would notice." Hilarious!

16. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I am seriously now considering bailing on the show because I’m just not enjoying it. I cannot stand Dr. Marcel, as I’ve said, and I’m not enjoying what they are doing to Will and Natalie at all. As a matter of fact, I’m not enjoying Chicago Med anymore either (I absolutely cannot stand Severide with Kidd) and I really don’t like Chicago PD. I might just give up the entire Wednesday night thing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    LlamaLarry likes this.
  17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IIRC, that was the 'end tag' (right before the credits) on the first episode the 2nd Becky showed up on.