Is Hydra worth it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by beej210, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 5, 2019 #1 of 38
    beej210

beej210 New Member

Jul 6, 2007

Advertisements

I’ve got a bolt vox plus 2 minis (1st gen). Everything functions fine and up to this point I’ve had no reason to upgrade to Hydra. When Hydra first came out I know there were a ton of issues.

My question: is It worth it to upgrade at this point? Is it as stable as the old software?

2. Jan 5, 2019 #2 of 38
    ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    One word Yes.

rdrrepair and tenthplanet like this.
  3. Jan 5, 2019 #3 of 38
    global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    i’m one who prefers it. I just dont use most of the features from mira that most take issue with not being in hydra. Whatever bugs/issues that used to be issues, i’m not noticing.

the only feature i miss is kmttgs skip service.

4. Jan 5, 2019 #4 of 38
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No. Not even a little bit.

justen_m, pj1983, MikeBear and 3 others like this.
  5. Jan 6, 2019 #5 of 38
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

I've got one New Bolt and one 9300 mini on Mira/Hydra. My older Bolt+, Premiere, Roamio and two other minis are on the Encore platform. Both platforms are stable and function well.

Currently the Bolt on Hydra/Mira is suffering from a "website" related issue with the app not functioning with the ToDo list.

A high level TiVo employee that frequents the site (@TiVo_Ted) has stated that all the new bells and whistles, that TiVo will be releasing, is going to be geared towards this new platform. There will be fewer releases, and minimal updates, to the older platform.

I've got no problem with the functioning of my TiVo on either platform. My wife doesn't like it but the kids do. I'm interested in what's new and hope the big news and newest features are enticing enough to have my wife get onboard with the new platform.

Hoping for newer features with more apps on my Hydra/Mira Bolt. I don't currently see a major overriding reason to upgrade but am hopeful for the future.

But... the newest release has some CEC support, so that's a plus.

6. Jan 6, 2019 #6 of 38
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    There were no issues in terms of bugs. There are features that did not carry over. And still haven’t. If you don’t use those features or don’t see them as essential, then Hydra is faster and more consistent.

tim1724 likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2019 #7 of 38
    gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    If you like to keep a stash of movies, shows, home movies, etc. on your computer and transfer them over to your tivos for watching (all my stuff is digital) then you'll hate Hydra.

If you only watch stuff "in the cloud" (netflix, hulu, etc) then you shouldn't care one way or another, other than finding everything in the new interface.

8. Jan 6, 2019 #8 of 38
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    No!

9. Jan 6, 2019 #9 of 38
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or Plex. Which has a better interface than TiVo for archived programming anyway. And can easily be viewed anywhere.

10. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    The Plex app on TiVo does the same thing.

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It does it better, actually.

12. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Whether or not Hydra is "worth it" is a judgement only you can make for yourself. Everyone has opinions, and you need to form your own. There is little is TE4 (Hydra) that isn't also in TE3 (Encore) with the exception voice command and the newly rolled out HDMI-CEC support (which is rather underwhelming at present, but works). I don't recall if the Alexa and ITTT functions were made available to TE3, but that could be another couple of missing features.

The only major TE3 feature missing from TE4 is transfer of recordings from PC to TiVo. The "live guide" is different in TE4, being a lower screen pop-up and so much smaller than the TE3 version. The Grid guide is the default guide in TE4. But you should make your own decision.

The only thing I would advise everyone to consider is that TE4 was designed for the demands of TiVO's cable customers, not directly for the retail users. It was, therefore, not designed to be a follow on to TE3 but moved to the sort of highly graphic interfaces used in other DVR software (Comcast X1, Android TV, etc.). This also means that a good percentage of new features will be only available on the new platform, but so far, TiVo has kept this to a minimum.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    TE3 has Alexa & ITTT support

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What does this even mean? Do you mean shows downloaded off of the Tivo, or old shows that still exist on the tivo, or what?

at least for those who the streaming works for (not me), the built in streaming/downloading can allow things to be viewed anywhere..

but if you mean a better way to watch my shows downloaded off of my tivo than either streambaby or pytivo-ing them back to the Tivo.. (and/or a way to watch away from home from my external hard drive), then I might be intrigued.

15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I use my TiVo for watching shows that are on my TiVo. And some streaming, if the show is discovered by the TiVo and can be accessed that way simply.

Almost all other media is watched via either Plex or the very similar Kodi. Everything. Shows from TiVo, Ripped DVD's/BluRay's, internet files, etc...

If I decide to watch something's that's not on my TiVo, a missed TV show or a ripped movie, it's not a big deal to switch to my Kodi box and start watching.

-KP

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Actually, plex does not allow the content to be integrated into the my shows list along with other recordings and shows from other streaming services like Amazon and Netflix. The plex content is walled off and only viewable in the app. Content transferred to the tivo was integrated with all other content in the my shows list for a single menu.

17. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I have over 2,000 titles on my Plex server...I can’t imagine how long that would take to load if they were all on my recording list. It would be cool if they searched Plex when you do a TiVo search, and the API exists, but that’s minor.

Plex isn’t a replacement for PC->TiVo transfers, it is a way to watch “stored elsewhere” content via the TiVo (or Roku, Apple TV, PCs, game consoles, mobile devices, etc.).

18. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Did Tivo ever implement a single My Shows List for your entire home ?

I have multiple Tivos and I have to remember which Tivo has a movie I have recorded.

I have been able to use the transfer function to try to group my movies, but I understand that Hydra does not let you move/transfer the recordings around any more, is that correct ?
    ( I can't move them if they have copy protection ) The transfer function allows me to make more even use of my disk space, so I can copy onto a Tivo which is not very full....

Where does Hydra get info for display for Netflix and Amazon, I find Tivo/Rovi info is sparse or just missing but Netflix and Amazon have great amount of info, I think Amazon uses IMDB info which is pretty complete.

19. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Is there an easy way to move movies from Tivo to store onto Plex server that does not require too much human intervention ?

20. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I use KMTTG to get files off my TiVo to any folder I choose. You can set the resultant file name with a large amount of flexibility so Plex can index them.

-KP