Is "Heroes" Kid Friendly?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tgr131, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tgr131

tgr131 Safety Dancer :)

May 23, 2001
    Columbia,...

Advertisements

I've recorded several episodes of "Heroes", but haven't watched it yet. I was wondering if my 7 and 10 year old boys would enjoy it, and if it was "Kid Friendly".

They've seen the Superman films and watch Justice League and Teen Titans all of the time.

David

2. naybag

naybag Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Washington, DC
    My husband and I have expressed surprise at some of the content in Heroes. I do not have children, and won't comment on whether they would "enjoy" Heroes. However, seven seems a little young for some of the content.

3. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It has gotten increasingly gory and graphic in the last couple of episodes. Much more so than I would have expected. I guess it depends on how you feel about graphic images of violence and gore.

FYI: The rating for the upcoming episode is TV-14, which is probably mostly due to the graphic violence, but there is also a lot of drug use. And one character is a stripper who is also a prostitute with some graphic scenes. So I would say that it's definitely not suitable for a 7-year-old.

4. MFruchey

MFruchey New Member

May 25, 2006
    45 mins....
    NOOOO!!!
    My kids are much younger than yours, but I would say a big definite no. While I think you might certainly enjoy it, there is some very extreme gore/violence and other mature themes (without spoiling it, some drug use and sexuality). Give it a try, but keep the kids out of the room.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

There's a lot of gore IMNSHO in Heroes..

Claire's injuries are quite graphic at times (esp the autopsy table)
    Isaac's drug use is also fairly graphic.
    and there is the subplot of someone removing brains (graphicly depicted)

I wouldn't consider it at all "kid friendly" compared to the items you listed which are very kid friendly.

Diane

6. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I'd say for kids 14 and older, but definitely NOT for kids younger than that.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not to mention attempted rape.

8. katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    Nope, as much as my 9yo son would like to watch it (and as much as I wish it was kid-friendly for him to do so), we decided early on that the guy getting his powers from doing drugs and the stripper/prostitute scenes were just not gonna cut it for the kiddos to watch.

9. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    Heroes is by no means your standard super hero type story. It's not Superman, it's not Spiderman. It is fairly gory. It does not have a happy ending (that I've seen) or a moral of the story at the end (well it does have a few comments).

I wouldn't consider it particularly kid friendly, no.

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I think TV-14 is a very appropriate rating for this show. If you don't let your kids watch CSI or Law & Order, they shouldn't watch this, either.

11. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...

There's too much sexual content in it, at least for me, to watch with children that young. It's bad enough watching it with my 14 YO. :eek:

12. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I didn't watch this show, because it seemed too kid-friendly... After reading this thread, I might have to watch it. :)

13. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    My 14 year old watched the first one.
    A bit awkward when stripper girl hit the screen, but no biggie.

After he watched the 2nd episode and had some nightmares and sleepwalking episodes that night, he decided he didn't want to watch it anymore.

I wasn't going to play the mean dad and tell him he couldn't watch it, as I think he's old enough to make that decision himself, and he did.

My 13yr old daughter never showed an interest in watching it, so she doesn't.

phox

14. tgr131

May 23, 2001
    Columbia,...
    Ah, thanks for all of the info! Definitely a bit too much for my kids. I appreciate the feedback.

We'll stick with our Waltons marathon for now. :D

David

15. MFruchey

MFruchey New Member

May 25, 2006
    45 mins....
    It really is a good show, though. Maybe you could try it without the kids.

16. tgr131

May 23, 2001
    Columbia,...
    I plan to watch it. I will just make sure it's after the kids hit the bed.

17. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Yeah it's at about the level of a PG-13 movie (without cursing, of course).

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Well, "I Never".

19. mlisowski

mlisowski Systems Engineer

Oct 2, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    It is not much worse than a PG-13 movie. My whole family watches it and I have kids under 14...no nightmares as they all know it is just a TV show. The gore is too cartoonish to be believable to them as well. I'm not a big fan of the drug character but it allows me to discuss the stupidity of doing drugs and the rape scene actually allowed me to discuss the situation with my 13 y.o. son.

20. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    If your kid is old enough, and smart enough to keep track of what is going on with all of the different storylines, then yes, it's kid friendly. It does seem to require at least a small bit of attention be paid during the whole show though, which is sometimes tough for kids under 10.

It's really up to the individual parent. Depends on what you feel is appropriate for your kid. My dad let me watch Porky's at 7, and I turned out ok. So, I'd recommend you watch an episode or two and make a decision. And I would agree that TV-14 is probably a good rating for this show, and a good judge for what you feel is appropriate. If you normally let your kids watch TV-14 shows, then this one should be ok as well.