Is Farscape worth it?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by disco, Jun 25, 2005.

1. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...

Advertisements

I just finished watching Firefly on DVD, and I'm feeling pretty depressed that it was cancelled, while at the same time pumped about the feature film being released in September.

And I need MORE...something to tide me over. Is Farscape it? Many more fans than Firefly, from what I see on internet boards/websites...is it worth the Netflix queue space?

2. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Stargate SG:1 would be a better choice.

3. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Farscape is definitely the way to go. Now that the miniseries has resolved the cliffhanger, it would be a great investment of your time.
    -Shaown

4. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Well, I just noticed something after adding the series to my Netflix queue that pisses me off: disc one has episodes 1 & 7; disc 2, episodes 2 & 4; disc 3, episodes 3 & 6...etc. etc...

WHAT?!?! How stupid is that.... :rolleyes: Guess I'll be asking around at work to see who owns it, cuz I'm NOT waiting between discs and trying to watching it out of order.

5. fm37212

fm37212 New Member

May 1, 2005

Advertisements

I don't know how you'd view it as a Firefly fan because I've never seen that show but I enjoyed Farscape and my husband is a huge fan. We were also baffled and irked by the way they did the DVD's. Very frustrating.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The order on the Farscape DVDs is (mostly) the correct order for the episodes.

SciFi aired them out of production order (yeah, they pulled a FOX).

Consult http://epguides.com/Farscape/ for the correct order to watch the episodes in.

(Edit: I say "mostly" because there are one or two occasions that they did swap an episode order because they wanted to combine a two part episode onto a single disc. This was the exception, not the rule.)

7. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Firefly was cancelled on Fox but has been picked up by Sci-fi channel...right?

nobody alerted the OP about that...or am I wrong?

8. LoadStar

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Firefly the series is done. SciFi Channel purchased the rights to air the 14 already filmed episodes.

The story of Firefly continues on the big screen with the Universal Pictures motion picture "Serenity," to be released wide on September 30.

9. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Oh, I heard about Firefly being picked up by SciFi for reruns....while cool (my TiVo will be FULL of them!), it doesn't really quench my thirst.

LoadStar: so, they aired them as they are on the DVD's? Should a newbie watch them in their BROADCAST order, or episode number order?

10. LoadStar

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    As with Firefly on FOX, SciFi channel aired the episodes of Farscape out of order.

The order on the DVDs is production order, and personally it's the order I'd watch the episodes in. It's not VERY critical to watch them in the correct order with the earlier episodes, as it's not strongly serialized at that point in the series. There is some character development that will get thrown off if you watch out of production order, however.

Edit: Edited the first sentence to clarify what I meant. FOX aired Firefly out of order, just like SciFi Channel aired Farscape out of order. Surprisingly, SciFi intends to air Firefly IN order.

11. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    IIRC, the only problem with the DVD's as far as order of watching goes, occurs at the end of season 2.

The season 2 finale, "Die Me, Dichotomy" is on the second to last disc. ADVFilms put the 3 parter "Liars, Guns and Money" all together on the last disc of season 2, even though it is imperative that you watch the trilogy before the season finale.

They learned their lesson after that debacle.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    One word - YOU BETCHA!!
    Baloney....Farscape puts SG to shame.

13. fm37212

fm37212 New Member

May 1, 2005
    "Farscape puts SG to shame."

Agreed!!!

14. The_Real_Trebor

The_Real_Trebor New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Somewhere...
    Quote:
    Is Farscape worth it?

One word - YOU BETCHA!!

Quote:
    Stargate SG:1 would be a better choice.

Baloney....Farscape puts SG to shame.

You have that right!
    Farscape is the Ferrari of the Sci-Fi World. SG1 is the Dodge Neon. :D

Farscape's acting, storyline, and overall feel makes SG1 feel like a College project.

Of course.....I am biased. ;) Just read my bottom signature. :p

Trebor. :cool:
    P.S. Farscape has Claudia Black! :D The only redeeming grace SG1 has this next season is Claudia Black and Ben Browder joining the cast, the 2 main stars of Farscape. If anyone can save SG1 from itself, it's those two. :up:

Attached Files:

15. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    While I like both SG-1 and Farscape. I would put Farscape ahead of SG-1.

16. fm37212

fm37212 New Member

May 1, 2005
    I was neutral before but I have to at least say that Farscape & SG-1 are really very different shows. Not really comparable at all as I see it.

17. aintnosin

aintnosin [Spoiler]

Jun 25, 2003
    Lake Forest, CA
    My advice to Farscape is to be patient with the first season. Things really get cooking from the second season on.

18. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would definintely agree that, while the 1st seasons helps with a solid backstory, 2nd season is where the fun begins.

As for the episodes on the DVDs, ADV came out with the Starburst Edition at the beginning of this year. 7-8 episodes on 2 Double-Sided Discs... including a whole bunch of extras/commentary. For a low price of around $15-17 per edition (they have released 4 of them: first three cover season 1).

And - Season 5... oops, I mean the miniseries - The Peacekeeper Wars, is out on DVD.

And yes - Farscape is worth it

19. LoadStar

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I hate that they went with double-sided discs. Grr. I'd love to have purchased the Starburst Edition, but that fact alone kept me from doing so. Oh, well... I'll have to see if there's someplace that has them for rent sometime. (Probably not, because I don't think too many rental places will carry double sided discs either. Grr again.)

20. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Except for the obvious flipping, what is necessarly wrong with double-sided discs? As far as I have been able to tell, each episode is located on one side (i.e. there is no flipping to continue watching a single episode).