Is DVRupgrade a good option???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by runtothedaylight, Apr 20, 2009.

1. runtothedaylight

runtothedaylight runtothedaylight

Dec 20, 2006
    Texas
    I am under going some difficulties with two if my dtivo boxes.

I'm wondering if dvrupgrade a good option for refurbishing my hughes unitss?

I tried to do my own homework by reading the multiple customer feedback responses on their website, but would appreciate anyone who has knowledge of their work, customer service, etc... to chime in.

Are there things I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input.

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    Read http://mfslive.org/winmfs/

Using that software, I cloned/expanded 3 80Gig drives (one R10 and two RCA) into 320Gig drives... this after the drive in a same age Samsung died and I had to buy a replacement

As long as you put the new drive into the same unit, you do not lose anything... and you have much more space on the new drive

3. halfempty

halfempty Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Miami, FL
    DVRupgrade, Weaknees, and CCS Corporation all have excellent reputations and years of experience fixing DTivos.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I'm a fan. R10 went through all the reboot machinations described elsewhere.
    New drive, no problems, quadruple the space.

5. runtothedaylight

Dec 20, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

Can you tell me how long you lived without the unit after you sent it off???

Also, how much did this experience set you back$$$???

Thx

6. halfempty

halfempty Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Miami, FL
    The one I have experience with is CCS Corp, $100 flat rate for anything and everything that ails your DTivo except the hard drive. IIRC it includes return shipping, and less than a week turnaround. DVRupgrade has a similar service, I think a couple of bucks more, but they have a presence on this site which is a big plus.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    R10: Paid about $110 for the 160 drive. They upgraded it to a 320 no extra cost. Paid $50 for the mail away install and $20 for the box with rt shipping. Took maybe a week to 10 days max. Used another non-DVR DTV tuner while R10 was away. Think that was about a year ago. Well worth it in my opinion! I believe they would fix/have fixed any other problem found, with charges, if it wasn't the drive. I just needed the drive. Good luck!

8. runtothedaylight

Dec 20, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the feedback.

9. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    It's worth it if you aren't technically able to image your own drives, or if the problem with the DTivo is something besides just a failed hard drive. I upgraded both of my units with larger hard drives following instructions available by googling.