1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DirecTV TiVo worth it?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by digs0, Oct 3, 2017.

1. digs0

digs0 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    San Diego
    I just switched (back) to DirecTV after a hiatus of many years, during which I was happy (happier than I knew) with my Premiere and then Roamio Plus units. Now that AT&T has gigabit fiber in my neighborhood, I made the jump back to DirecTV. Even though I've been all-in on TiVo for awhile, I'm shocked at how much worse their Genie box is than a TiVo.

It's tough to find information on the DTV TiVo. I know it has only 2 tuners, but that might be a sacrifice I'm willing to make to get the TiVo UI back. I don't care too much about having Netflix or anything since I have other boxes for that. I'd miss the commercial skip feature if the DTV boxes don't have it. In short: has anyone found that it's worth it to pay extra for a DirecTV TiVo unit?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you really like the TiVo UI and don’t care about on-demand, streaming or other features that the non-TiVo boxes have, it works fine. It’s essentially a Series 2 that doesn’t need a phone line, and costs $5 extra a month.

I don’t agree that the Genie is worse than a TiVo. The UI is a bit of a mess, I’ll agree, but in most other ways I like it better (I have both). No commercial skip on either.

3. digs0

digs0 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks for the reply, stevel. Maybe I just have to learn to use it. The things I dislike about Genie, aside from the outdated aesthetics of the UI, are the inability to select tuners (as far as I can tell, you can only switch between 2 active tuners), the confusing nature of creating season pass equivalents, and the inferior way it handles fast-forwarding ads. Thanks to TiVo, it's been a long time since I had to deal with the fast forward/skip back/skip back again/oops too far/skip forward dance. I had a Comcast box for a couple of days when I first moved and that seemed more up to date.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I never use the switch tuner feature, so I can’t comment on that. I never had an issue with forwarding through ads - it seemed to work similarly to TiVo in my experience. Setting up season passes is just different, with most of the same options available. One thing you do give up with the Genie is TiVo’s “Deleted Shows” folder. But the Genie has a nice feature where if you tune into a program in the middle, chances are you’ll be offered the option to watch from the beginning (many but not all channels have this enabled.) Also, as I hinted above, on-demand (with downloading, not the PPV channels) simply doesn’t work on the THR22, even though it’s supposed to. Five tuners is also quite nice...

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The THR22 (the latest DirecTV that can record HD) is like an S3 experience because it does record HD. Also the THR22 has virtually NONE of the features found on RETAIL TiVo's. Unless things have changed you can't tranfer between shows nor can you do many other things a retail TiVo can do, but I think you can access some DirecTV On Demand content, and that's about it. But it does have that S3 UI with the moving menus and animated TiVo critter, but no Picture in Guide, etc. In every other way, it functions like an S3.

The THR22 is really for hard core TiVo fans who just have to have a TiVo or simply prefer the old, but still adequate S2/S3 UI that feels familiar and comfy for some TiVo users. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 7:13 AM
  6. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Correct The THR is on there OLD HR22 Platform and still has the Older Tivo Interface.. it will have very little in common with your premiere... There is a new Directv Interface in the process of being rolled out