Is December finally the month?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RMBittner, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...

Advertisements

Engadget is reporting that the HD DirecTiVo is scheduled for "limited release" (whatever that might mean) in December, with a wider release in early 2012. One poster on the DBSTalk forum claims to have it on good authority that the actual date is December 8...

Of course, anyone reading this forum will know that rumors have been many and actual products have been. . . nonexistent. For more than three years.

So consume the news with as much salt as needed. And I'll keep making my daily stops at the DTV web site, just to check in.

Bob

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Or maybe 2013?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Guess we'll know in 10 days.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I predict that after a few months in "select major markets" with no promotion DirecTV will tell TiVo that it's not working out and suggest that they again amend their deal to port to newer hardware with additional features and postpone their marketing commitment until that time.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

We can look at the experience of the Comcast TiVo to see how things might play out...

6. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    TiVo stated on their recent earnings call that the new DirecTiVo would be coming out in select markets in December with a nation-wide rollout in 2012. Tom Rogers said that DirecTV is committed to giving it substantial marketing support.

7. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Any insight into how the "select" markets might be selected?

Hopefully it won't be based solely on size (although I guess that would make the most sense). I've been aching to make the switch to DirecTV ever since they first announced the renewed D/TiVo partnership. But I'm in Charlotte, MI, which, even though it's close to Lansing, the state capital, would be a 2nd-tier locale at best. (It usually feels more like a 3rd-tier town.;))

Bob

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Didn't I read somewhere that the DirctTivo would have hobbled functionality and SDUI only?

9. rolybert

rolybert tunafish smells weird

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Yada Yada Yada

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes. We know it won't have MRV and TiVoToGo and that the UI is not TiVo's newer part-HD UI. It would appear to be what a lot of people asked for - an MPEG4-capable HR10 and little more.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    [​IMG]

12. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    doubt it will make a difference.

13. GeorgeY

GeorgeY New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Chicago,...
    Posted in DirecTV Field Announcements (INSTALLER ONLY)
    Technical Forum :

*BLAST FACTS* TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV Launch

December 5, 2011 5:22 PM

Effective December 8, 2011, DIRECTV will begin offering the TiVo ® HD DVR from DIRECTV (THR22-100) in the 10 markets below as an option for both new and current customers. The national rollout for all remaining markets is still being evaluated.

Chicago IL
    Denver CO
    Los Angeles CA
    New York NY
    Philadelphia PA
    Phoenix AZ
    Sacramento CA
    San Francisco CA
    Seattle WA
    Washington DC

The attached TiVo Overview document contains technical specifications and a product overview of benefits / limitations.

The TiVo® HD DVR will carry a $5 per month TiVo service fee, which is in addition to the $10 per month HD Access fee and the $7 per month DVR service fee.

Attachments: TiVo_Overview_v1 2.pdf

14. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    How does this "market" thing work? How close do you have to be to one of these cities to be able to get the box?

15. llarch

llarch Member

May 7, 2004
    No whole-home DVR (MRV)
    No web video access (YouTube)
    No iPad app support
    No 3D support
    No HD GUI
    No new (HR24) hardware
    -extra $5 per mo (on top of the normal DVR fee)

It's as if someone, high up, somewhere did not want this to succeed....

16. ckelly5

ckelly5 Denny Crane

Feb 26, 2004
    Boston, MA
    We'll probably give it a go.

Overall, the new DTV HD UI is nice (been using it from the cutting edge channel for a few months now), but it's really not that much different in terms of usability over the previous UI. My girlfriend has been asking for a TiVo since we moved and only had the option of DTV/ UVerse. She was a heavy TiVo Wishlist user and doesn't even use the feature on the DTV box. I'd still argue that the recording/ SP capabilities are better on TiVo, regardless of which UI is in place - One common scenario I've hit a number of times: I want to record a later showing of a SP ep on cable, so I'll set it to record, but the DTV box doesn't know I am recording the same ep again, and doesn't cancel the earlier ep, effectively doubling the number of steps needed.

As for the things this TiVo doesn't have (at least at launch), the only one that impacts us at this time would be the new UI. We only have one TV, don't currently use 3D capabilities, have never used YouTube, and the DTV iPad app isn't anything spectacular (limited channels to stream, if it allowed you to watch recordings, that'd be another thing) and from the sounds of it, remote scheduling should still be supported.

I'm curious as to if the TiVo iPad app would be compatible with this box down the road, if the DirecTV one isn't?

17. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Great question.

I really want one. But Chicago is my closest market, and I'm about 200 miles away. I'm guessing that's a teensy bit outside the radius.:rolleyes:

It's going to be 2012 for me, I guess.

Bob

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your zip code needs to be in the "market" as defined by DirecTV for local station service. If you get Chicago locals, you probably qualify, but I don't know for certain.

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=199334 has lots of answers to questions frequently asked here. One bit of surprise is:

20. BBURNES

BBURNES Member

Jun 23, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Here is the quick 2-page installer overview of the new DirecTiVo. As feared, it is quite handicapped from full TiVo functionality, handicapped from full DirecTV DVR functionality -- and carries a $5 surcharge.

Headscratcher.

Sorry for poor quality of upload. File size of document had to be reduced.

Attached Files: