1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Cox Cable Compliant with the FCC for Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rcdavis, Aug 13, 2017 at 4:34 AM.

Is Cox Cable Compliant with the FCC in Oklahoma City?

1. Yes, Cox is compliant with the FCC in Oklahoma City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, Cox is not compliant with the FCC in Oklahoma City

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Yes, Cox is compliant with the FCC in my city.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No, Cox is not compliant with the FCC in my city

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. rcdavis

rcdavis New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    I live in Oklahoma City. When Cox first went digital, we called Cox cable perhaps 9 times in the first year because the Tivo was not showing any, or all channels. The techs would show up, pair the cable cards, and leave after 2-3 hours. After about three weeks, the cable cards would become unpaired, and we would have to call Cox cable again.

This went on for about a year. The two techs that came out said that there was no reason for the cable cards to become unpaired, and they suspected the problem was with Cox's office. They said that after nine service calls, that they would simply give us a Contour box for free. Not the best solution, but it was a solution.

After about three months, Cox started charging us for the Contour box. We complained, and they reduced the price. After a couple months, they raised the price again.

We had been paying around $180 per month, but then Cox raised the price to $200 per month, which included phone, extended cable with perhaps five premium packages, and high speed internet. When we went back to the cable packages, we were surprised to see that food programs were in with the Sports package, National Geographic was in another package, History Channel a different package, Biography a different package, and so on. In short, we were only watching 11 channels, but we had to subscribe to almost all of the packages to get all of our programing.

Now our cable is up to $256 per month (including basic cable 100mbps internet, and telephone). We used to pay $180 for everything, with almost all packages, one GBPS, and phone, but how we were paying $256 for basic cable and 100 mbps! I hate to think what our bill would be if we were getting all the premium packages. Perhaps if we had just kept all the premium packages, would we still be paying $250 per month?

I called the person in charge of cable for Oklahoma City, and he said that he would contact Cox that very day. He said that if Cox had not contacted me by Wednesday, to call him back. Come Wednesday, a Cox service man was at our house, and he evidently brought a new cable card. He was on the phone for three hours with Atlanta, and finally got the channels to come in for Oklahoma city, or so we thought. By the time we got back from dinner, the Tivo was out. A couple hours later, the Contour was out. We called back and got scheduled for Friday, and he was unable to get the cable card paired. Another service call was set for Monday, with the same result. Another service call was set for Wednesday, and the same thing happened again, except he thought that the problem was with the Tivo! We have heard that story before.

I called the manager in charge of Oklahoma City once again, and told him what the two service men had said, that they believed that the problem was with Cox, and not with the Tivo or the cable card. The two service men said that there was no reason for the cable card to work for three weeks, and then become unpaired.

Question: Has anyone else with Cox cable had the same experience, or a similar experience? Do the cable cards typically become unpaired after three weeks? Cox techs said that they rarely install cable cards, which is no surprise when one considers what we went through. The techs said that they often don't even have a cable card on the truck. Has everyone in Oklahoma City just given up and gone to Contour?

The more relevant question is whether Cox cable is compliant with the FCC regulations that require cable companies to comply with the laws that cable companies be compliant with laws that require that Tivo be given open access to cable..

What are the experiences of the persons on this Forum?
    Is Cox compliant with the FCC?
    What kind of experiences did you have in dealing with Cox?
    How long did you persist before Cox became compliant?
    Was the cable technician knowledgeable?
    Was the issue escalated? Or did you experience less knowledgeable techs the longer you waited?

Please note that lack of responses from Oklahoma City may simply mean that most people in Oklahoma City have simply given up on receiving Tivo.

Feedback appreciated!

Richard

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the CC restrictions have been loosened a good deal.

Back in the day the provider had to provide a 'working alternative' to their STBs . However, with today's technology, IIRC, there was a bill passed recently that pretty much did away with this, as everyone and their brother has access to alternatives (a-la Rokku, Chromecast, Prime, Hulu, Netflix, ATV, etc).

It sounds like Cox is doing what they do best, stalling. You should be able to simply call their global # and have them re-pair the card on the phone. There's no excuse for service calls ( which I'd lay good $$$ they are charging for ).

3. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I had the same issues on Comcast for 18 months and updating the cable card solved the problem. Our cable cards needed firmware running 1.5.3.1101 or higher. Don't know if your cable cards are the same or not.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Is Cox compliant with the FCC?
    No. The service you describe is beyond substandard.
    What kind of experiences did you have in dealing with Cox?
    Luckily I am not on their system.
    How long did you persist before Cox became compliant?
    If folks were not so hesitant to file FCC complaints, this issue probably would have been resolved a long time ago, but they would rather complain to their friends and make ineffective posts on a forum.
    Was the cable technician knowledgeable?
    Once adequate signal strength is established, a cable tech coming to the home is 100% dependent on happening to "know" someone on the headend who is competent to properly setup cable cards, otherwise they can do nothing more then the consumer to provide the cable card numbers.
    Was the issue escalated? Or did you experience less knowledgeable techs the longer you waited?
    The issue which you have already established is not going to get resolved, you have already helped them by accepting one of their boxes, which is exactly what Cox wants.
    AS an aside, since you seem to be able to get the cablecard paired but then repeatedly dropped/disabled, it may well be some error on the account side of the issue, i.e., something is wrong on the account that is repeatedly causing this to happen, at least that is what it sounds like.

5. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I've had Cox Oklahoma in Broken Arrow for 2 years now with a TiVo Roamio in my house, my dads house and my step sisters house. After getting Roamios for OTA and liking the interface, I decided to try Cox, when Cox started offering really good bundle deals. After 17 years with Dish, we all made the switch. Not having equipment fees is a big savings.

Other than the initial cable card activation and setup problems, due to old video traps on the lines, they have been rock solid since the day they were paired and setup.

I also have a Roamio on Cox with a cable card and tuning adapter in Las Vegas at our condo. It has been rock solid for a year and half now, other than the tuning adapter locked up one day and had to be rebooted.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Expecting the FCC to fix CableCARD problems is beating a dead horse. Not sure how alive that horse ever was, but it's dead now. The potential technical/clerical issues are so many and so complex that to fix them you need the attention of someone possessing three factors:
    1. The incentive to fix it.
    2. The knowledge to fix it.
    3. The power to implement the fix(es).
    The probability of finding such a person is generally low.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There have been several posts in these forums which have demonstrated the exact opposite finding, which was that after being offered absolutely no resolution to their problems for weeks plus, they finally started to get action and attention by the cable company higher ups who then make it their business to find those people in their organization who actually have the knowledge and power to fix the issues.
    The power of the consumer to find such a person on their own is extremely low, close to zero, unless they accidentally stumble across one of those folks who "knows" someone in the company who can fix such things.
    I can tell you this, one thing a cable company does not like is a laundry list of complaints to the FCC. I have successfully filed 2 such complaints myself and got very quick responses and positive resolutions, within days, when on my own, I just repeatedly went in circles for weeks.
    As far as incentives to fix a cable card problem, there is absolutely none, and a financial disincentive to properly support cable cards. With the except of possibly changing providers, which is not really a possibility for most folks, there is little if any motivation to comply with the mandate to support cable cards.
    The existance of cable cards themselves was a direct result of the FCC, no one else. What other tools exist to put any pressure on the providers, absolutely none. The only other solution is to give up, I don't give up.
    Yes, the current leadership of the FCC is anti-consumer but so long as the regulations exist, it is foolish not to take advantage of them.
    EDIT: It takes about 10 minutes, all online, no phone calls needed.
    CableCARD: Know Your Rights

FCC Complaints

osu1991 and mdavej like this.
  8. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I had an issue before where a cable card kept getting unpaired and when the tech came he said there was a bad connection that was messing with the signal that goes to their headend so each time it would authorize it would only last as long as the timeout period and they'd have to do it all over again, repeating the cycle.

Sorry I don't know more details, it was a long time ago but thats the gist of it.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Valid points. Perhaps my reports of the horse's death were premature. I too would complain to the FCC if that was the last resort. It's free and easy and there is a (small IMHO) probability it will pay off. I vaguely remember "several posts" reporting good results -- although I couldn't find any in a five minute search. But several good results hardly support a conclusion as to the overall effectiveness.

The OP's case can be a good test experiment -- let's see if the FCC helps.

10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    have you tried a new Tivo maybe the cable card slot is faulty?

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah, it's really good advice to discourage the only likely resourse. It's always better to do nothing and just complain on a forum where it can do nothing at all.

12. powrcow

powrcow Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Getting any MSO to properly use cable cards is frustrating. Once the pairing is complete, it should be done. If it unpairs, then there may be a hardware problem. I've used the following number for self-install: 1-877-820-8202, but that was years ago.

Cable cards are unfortunately on the way out. MSOs never wanted them and they now want to transition to IPTV.

Cox in-house service call install was bad. According to the contractor, he always had trouble activating "bulls*** TiVos." In reality, he had problems reciting a long alphanumeric string to the operator. For self-install, it worked with no issues. After pairing was complete, I did have to wait a few hours for all channels to come in.

They provide everything to the bare minimum. They may be complaint with the letter of the law (arguably) but not the spirit. To me, the spirit of requiring cable cards is that I can bring my own equipment. However, minimal training, faulty cards, and additional equipment requirements make it seem like death by a thousand paper cuts for TiVo users.

Poor training in dealing with cable cards is the number one issue. CS reps are not good at going off script and it seems like their script for cable cards is linear and assumes no failures. One hiccup and the process goes haywire.

The first, contractor installed card took about 3 frustrating hours until everything worked (installer's fault). Self-installed (pairing over the phone) just worked but required me to wait a few hours after pairing for changes to appear.

Barely.

Didn't escalate aside from being transferred to someone who knows about cable cards.