Is Comcast jerking my chain?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sptnut, Apr 16, 2011.

1. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    So I went and picked up a m-card today without any problems. The guy at the counter tells me its all set up that I shouldnt have to do anything, but if for whatever reason it doesn't work to call tech support. Well guess what it doesn't work. Tech support tells me the pairing information has been deleted off the card and the only way to fix this is to take it to the office or have an installer come. The tech support person was pushing hard to have me make an appointment for the installer to come. I said no, I'll just take it to the office and hung up.

My question is, did I get a rep that has no clue about cablecards or is this something that can really happen? Am I being jerked around?

2. GKevinK

GKevinK New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Comcast has inconsistent policies with regard to CableCard installs. I had an online assistant 'verify' that I could go to the local office and pick up a card to install when my Premier was new. I took off the time during a workday to go to the office, only to be told that they didn't do that and I'd have to get an appointment for a person to come install and activate a new card. That was the beginning of a chain of events of getting jerked-around that lead me to drop Comcast and jump to FiOS.

3. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    if you twitter to @Comcastcares you might get a quicker response.

4. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    You might want to fire off a tweet to @comcastcares - looks like there's help there. My $.02

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    You dont need a tech to come out. All he is going to do is call into their card support people which is were they should have sent you when you called. The only other problem is if the card itself is defected. That happens a lot because of them being left on the trucks and bouncing around.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    For my location Comcast requires a $50 Truck roll just to get the card.

After getting or moving the card I have had limited success by calling the 800 number you will need to get 3 set of numbers These can be found in "Messages & Settings" -> "Settings+ -> "Remote, CableCARD, & Devices" -> "CableCARD".
    - Card Serial Number
    - Host ID
    - Data ID

Note: The card is tied to the device (TiVo) if you move the card another TiVo or run Clear and Delete Everything the card needs to be re-paired to get the premium channels.

Good luck.
    Ex-Comcast customer.

7. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    It's taken me about a week to finally get my card set-up correctly. Ok, first take a deep breathe, exhale! Remember, this is. Comcast we are dealing with . Many of the CSRs are well intentioned, but the trick is to find one who is also knowledgeable. Unfortunatelly, you may have increase your knowledge base a bit. Start by using the search engine here to find other threads dicussing CC installation problems. I made two seperate phone calls to Comcast asking if they could please make sure that I have more support so that mistakes were'nt repeated. If you have'nt already done so you should complete the guided set-up( skip the cablecard install) .When you've completed the set-up go to the channel page & check to make sure that you have good signal strength coming into the Tivo. I'm not really sure how much difference this might make, but it will give you an indicator to make sure the activation signal is reaching your Tivo/CC with sufficient strength! Good Luck!

8. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    I called Comcast again with Tivo on the other line. Things seemed to be going well, the rep admitted she didn't know much about Cablecards but would help me as much as possible. She was great until she said the supervisor stepped away and she would have to give me a call back. Well its been an hour and I'm not holding my breath I'll get that call back. Off to twitter I go.

9. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    There's no technical reason you shouldn't be able to do everything over the phone, but Comcast won't let you do it. They'll only let a Comcast technician do it. If you're incredibly lucky you might be able to get somebody on the phone to do it, but that's very unlikely.

They can't "fix it" if you take the card back to the office, because the pairing information they use is tied to the hardware it's in, so it's only valid when the card is actually plugged into your Tivo.

10. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    It depends on the Region. Here in the SF Bay Area, they let you do the install yourself and phone in to give the pariing information. Over the last year, I've done this 3 times, and all have been successful, and the phone reps all knew what they were doing

That wasn't the story when the Series 3 first came out though!!!

11. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Here in Washington even when the s3 came out comcast let you do an self install of the cable cards. About 25 days after the s3 came I went to Fry's in Renton and bought the s3. I then went to the Tacoma comcast office and picked up 2 cards. Went home installed the cards and they started to work. Only problem was about 6 months later they started to pair the cards. I just called and gave them the numbers and every thing worked ok.

12. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    Well of course I never got the call back from Comcast, didn't expect that I would. So i contacted @ComcastCares. They sent me an email back saying they sent the info to the card, and of course it still wasn't working (I let them know too). The next day I get a call from one of the local supervisors to check on me to see if everything had been taken care of, I told him no. He tried himself to get it to work, after about 20 mins gave up said he'd have to send a tech. The tech came today with one of his supervisors, worked on it for 30 mins, said nothing was wrong with the card, my line was good etc. The supervisor said let me try something, he went to the truck, poof 2 mins later he said it was working. I think it was a rate code problem, but I know for a fact he said it could have been fixed on the phone.

Couple hours later the local supervisor from the call center contacted me, asked if everything was working. I told him it took them about 30 mins to get it running and they mentioned it could have been fixed over the phone. He seemed shocked by this but offered me a credit for my inconvenience and service outage for the past few days (without me asking).

Overall I'm happy with my new unit, just taking some getting us to. My biggest complaint is Comcast. If I hadn't been persistent, it would have never been fixed. I should also add I live in an area that allows self installs.

13. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Keep a hold of that supervisor's number if you have it. There's a good chance you'll have some unnecessary charges on your next bill, and you'll keep flip-flopping between being overcharged and having your cablecard work. I went through that for about 6 months with Comcast.

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Did I not predict chaos? So glad to be done with Comcast...

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As I posted Comcast suddenly out of no where decided that I need to pay full Set Top Box rent on each CableCARD, as in $7.95 each so I get to pay $15.80 a month to have ONE S3 I OWN connected.

I'm planning on filing a FCC complaint but I'm actually in mourning. I only want to be able to enjoy what I know is the best setup in peace. Between TiVo selling me new improved, advanced TiVo box that constantly crashes and Comcast constantly dreaming up ways to prevent me from giving them my money, I'm saddened beyond belief. Why can't they just leave good and reasonable alone? WTF is wrong with these companies?

16. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Have you checked www.tvfool.com to see what your over the air HD reception is like? You may be able to get the #3 TV market in the country (Chicago) and perhaps Milwaukee. That cable bill will buy an awful lot of Netflix, Hulu Plus, iTunes, and/or food and beverage at the local sports bar. Even if the cost is the same, there's something satisfying about telling Comcast to go to hell.:up:

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I have to put an antenna about 40 feet up. I'm 50 miles from Chicago. I am going to see if I can bolt a mast to an eave. I've been thinking I had to put up a tower.

If I don't get sane rates shortly I'm just going to pull at least 2 CableCARDs and make one TiVo network only.

18. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "Is Comcast jerking my chain? "

They're a cable company, aren't they?:rolleyes: