Is Bright House Networks trying to scare TiVo CableCARD Customers into switching STBs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I got the same letters too. It makes it sound very scary but I knew I was safe already because I have the SDV boxes. It's nothing new though, BH has always made the CC & SDV process complicated and a nightmare to do in hopes of making users give up and switch to their devices instead.

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    A high-level official with the FCC called and emailed me yesterday thanking me for my filing. He suggested that Bright House is likely violating the FCC adopted rule 76.1205(c) which prevents cable operators from issuing misleading information about SDV for CableCARD retail customers. I also received an email and phone call from a very high level person at TiVo also urging me to file a formal complaint with the FCC. The following letter was filed last night.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65953148

The actual code that BHN is violating is located here --> http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=ec61cdee99592807f8383dc27a8599f4&rgn=div8&view=text&node=47:4.0.1.1.4.16.3.6&idno=47

In particular,

4. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Garrr, I wish I hadn't thrown them away, I would love to make a filing as well. The first one I got was a letter, the 2nd was a laminated flyer instead of a printed letter. I'm sick and tired of being pushed around by BH because I don't want to use their horrible DVR boxes.

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Agree completely. The guy at TiVo was so pissed when he read the letters that I can't repeat some of the language he used when we were discussing it. My guess is this will be the last time we see such a letter from BHN. It sounds like they will be sufficiently penalized to raise some interest in their upper-level management chain to stop this scare tactic.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I, too, have received the same letters, in the same timeframes (I posted about it here in the "Brighthouse SDV" thread).

I have one Brighthouse TA that I only got because I wanted to try one out while the first year was free. Since there are really no SDV channels I care about, I plan on returning the TA when that year expires (unless more channels move to SDV before then).

7. wtb

wtb New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    St....
    I too received the letters in Pinellas County. It was interesting that after receiving the letters in June, they were still there (I have an M card but not the tunning adapter). Then I received the letter a few weeks ago. I'm just waiting for the Rays season to be over and then may just cancel my cable altogether and perhaps try out Verizon FIOS.

8. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It's just a matter of time before everything is on the SDV platform. It makes the most sense in terms of optimizing their networks so they can compete with FiOS & U-Verse.

If I get anymore mailers like this I will make sure to keep them in a folder so I can stay on top of this.

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    WTB, are you also a Tuning Adapter user or just CableCARD? Rays are already in high def on BHN. I would move over in a second if they were available in my condo building.

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm guessing there is a threshold of viewership where SDV doesn't make sense so for example on a major network channel like NBC, ABC, CBS, or Fox it doesn't make sense to ever put that channel on SDV. But you are correct in that a large number of channels will be migrated to SDV to free up bandwidth for other channels and services like on-demand, etc.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  12. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Moving even the big ones to SDV could make sense for some regions too as not all demographics/regions watch the same types of programming. It also ensures you have to have one of their devices increasing the sell-up opportunity for DVR devices. Where CC's was the first tool they tried to use to scare customers SDV had become the new one.

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I hope so, but I'll bet they either get a toothless slap on the wrist or they file a response with the FCC that says something like "that was a one-time mistake, made only in one tiny market and is not consistent with our position".

Who know how many cable subs across the country have received a similar letter.

Fortunately, you knew better and took the time to do something about it. Kudos.

14. ispgeek

ispgeek New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Saint...
    Hi Sbiller,

Haven't talked to you in a while. I can see where these letters may be somewhat confusing since not everybody knows that a Tuning Adapter is a bidirectional device. I have also forwarded your concerns to BHN and will report back when I get a response so sit tight a bit.

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hey ispgeek,

As I've stated earlier on DSLReports I do appreciate your assistance in matters related to BHN. I know they are responsive to your requests to support individual users and the larger community for that matter. I hesitated to file anything with the FCC until I received the 2nd letter from them and I solicited opinions from other like-minded TiVo retail users. 100% of the TiVo user's I asked thought the BHN letter was discriminatory towards retail CableCARD users. At this point I decided to file the comment to 97-80 with the FCC. To my surprise I was contacted directly by the rules official at the FCC who recently published the specific rules on Aug 8th. He suggested that I could file a complaint because BHN appears to have violated the rule. When the high-level official at TiVo contacted me he also encouraged me to file a formal complaint not specifically to punish BHN but to highlight the issue retail subscriber's continue to have using non-leased retail CableCARD devices. We are in the very silent majority and I filed the formal complaint to highlight the problems the silent majority face as we swim upstream against the tide. I don't expect to see serious fines against BHN as a result of my complaint nor do I want to see them fined. I want this sort of discriminatory behavior against CableCARD users to cease and hopefully for BHN to embrace us as valuable customers. Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply to your comments. I will tell the BHN officials the same thing when they contact me with respect to the FCC filing(s). Hopefully my cable will continue to work as well as its been working to date! :)
    ~Sam

16. ispgeek

ispgeek New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Saint...
    LOL - No worries Sam your cable will be fine, you are too much man :). Next time you have something that bugs ya let me know about it, you know where to find me :). In the meantime like I said in my last post I sent everything over to BHN so enjoy your weekend (hopefully it won't rain all weekend) and the minute I hear back I'll be in touch....promise.

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    There really should be a sticky on the forum with information about the new regulations and how to file a complaint. Some dismiss it as having no affect, but we need to get these complaints on the record or the Allvid proceedings will produce more of the same.

18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I wish more people would file complaints. Every time I suggest it the general reply is the FCC won't do anything so why bother.

19. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Same here, and that's a shame. When people complained about SDV deployments the FCC acted based on the only related regulations they had on the books which were pretty much rules against changing channel line-ups without notice or something like that. Now there are much more specific rules that address many of these problems.

On top of that, every time the FCC requests comments for new regulations it comes down to CE companies vs the cable industry arguing over whether the cable industry has acted in good faith. Because there was no formal complaint process TiVo has had to fall back on comments from these forums to support their case. Now with a formal complaint process, if there are no complaints then the cable industry can argue that there is no problem and TiVo will have nothing to support it's positions.

If you don't want to rent a cable company DVR it's foolish not to complain to the FCC every time a cable company violates one of these new rules.

20. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I've started a folder to specifically put printed emails and mailed items in to keep track of these things from now on.