Is anyone watching Roots?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, May 31, 2016.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas

Advertisements

I had not heard about the remake until this past weekend. We've watched the first episode (it's a 4 part miniseries).

The first hour or so was very slow. I almost gave up. But we pressed on, and it got a little more interesting the last half, and Tuesday's episode looks like there is a lot happening in it.

I remember watching the original 1977 Roots - and read an article that 50% of households with TV watched it back in 1977 - of course there were like 4 channels back then... But it was one of the iconic TV moments of my age.

2. ozzman73

ozzman73 Home Made

Nov 27, 2006
    Snoop Dog told me not to watch

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Like the OP, I hadn't heard a word about it until this past weekend.

My first thought was "why did it have to be remade?"

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    My name is Kunta. Kunta Kinte

5. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

I might give it a view. The original doesn't hold up well, imho. Very dated.

6. TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Your name is Toby!

7. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I saw it in the guide and just thought it was the 1977 version. This is the first I heard it was a remake.

8. Jun 1, 2016 #8 of 28
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    A someone old enough to fondly remember the 70s version, I like the remake -- a lot. Like "Underground", there are more historical references like the Revolutionary War which was missing from the original. I also like the depiction of Kizzy. She reminds me of how some of the strong African American women like "Stagecoach" Mary Fields came about.

9. Jun 1, 2016 #9 of 28
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    If interested, Stagecoach Mary is actually now a recurring character on AMC's Hell on Wheels.

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Yes! It was the movie "Hanna's Law" that caused me to look into her so I knew who she was when she showed up in the saloon.

They could do a whole series on her alone because she was a badazz across a significant part of the US.

11. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Agree with the OP 1st hour is very slow, so much that I haven't watched more, but I will.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I figure I'll binge this one. I also wondered why it needed to be remade, but I guess a whole new generation could watch and perhaps there were things in the new version that might not have been in the old. You can also get more graphic in a cable series than you could on a network series, especially one from the 1970s.

I wonder why it was so poorly advertised? I vaguely remember reading about it in some list of summer series and had forgotten about it until I was flipping channels and noticed it was on.

13. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I watched the first episode, we were one of the 50% houses that didn't watch it in 1977.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Tivoed it, will watch eventually.. I also think "why remake it?" (though somewhat hypocritically, I completely admit I'm actually LESS against remakes in some other situations, e.g. the new "Odd Couple".. or even making new superhero movies with different actors, but quit remaking the origin story over and over and over)..

But Levar Burton being involved (a producer I think), and the orig production company, is interesting too.

Though I think this one is far shorter right? The orig was I think 8 days of 2 hours each (and of course each hour was much fuller of show back then).. This one is 4 episodes..
    (Hmm, epguides.com doesn't have the orig roots!)

15. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I don't remember the length of the original.

But these episodes are plenty full. We've still only watched the first one - but it was 2 hours, 15 minutes long - and the first commercial break wasn't until a half hour in. I do believe they came more frequent after that - but I don't remember a lot of breaks.

16. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    It could have something to do with the use of DVRs. Who watches commercials these days? With that being said, I noticed quite a few commercials for it.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Loved the original. As a 12 year old boy, I was riveted to the screen every night, as was the rest of the family. Seems like it was at least two weeks.

I vaguely remember hearing about this remake, but had no idea when it was going to air, and certainly didn't know that it had started.

Seems they should have promoted it a bit more.

18. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    This seems silly. I heard the south is asking people not to watch Gone With the Wind and the British are doing the same with The Patriot. Not every movie can be Straight Outta Compton.

19. bobino

bobino Member

Jul 24, 2002
    My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night. We watched non-stop. The actors are simply gorgeous. Not always the best acting, but the story is captivating and real enough that we bought in.

A couple of times, minor in the telling of the story, we asked ourselves if that would have really happened. We are looking forward to more.
    We don't believe Kissy would have survived after stabbing the old guy on the wagon. Our understanding is she would have been hanged almost immediately. There's was not followup whatsoever on that.

20. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Looking at imdb:

Roots (1977) says 12 episodes

TV Guide says the original mini-series aired on eight consecutive nights but lists 6 episodes

TVShowsonDVD's listing for the 40th Anniversary BD set (release date: 6/07/2016) says 8 episodes and running time "Unknown mins"

Roots (2016) has 4 episodes (as Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Night 4)

I don't see any running times listed. I hate the new imdb format.

For completeness:

http://epguides.com/Roots_2016/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016