Is anyone having a positive experience with the elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by beerkensp, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1 of 76
    beerkensp

beerkensp New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have been a tivo user since Tivo 1. I am currently on a Tivo 3 and am thinking about upgrading to the Elite because my Tivo 3 starts to have occasional reboots.

Looking at these forums you read nothing but bad experiences but I believe that people tend to post more when things go wrong then when things go right.

What I am trying to determine is if everyone is having Elite problems with a handful of people without problems so I should not upgrade or only a handful of people are having problems and the silent majority is too busy using their Elite so I should buy and hope I am part of the lucky majority.

What is a loyal tivo owner to do?

If I buy it I want to be able to use all the services like Amazon, Netflix and remote season pass editing.

2. Feb 7, 2012 #2 of 76
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Hmm, it seems the Elite is having less problems than about any TiVo launch ever. Most of that is because a lot of the Elite's architecture is the same as the Premiere. There are people with cablecard/tuning adapter issues but that frustration is not really because of TiVo.

3. Feb 7, 2012 #3 of 76
    AnthonyWeiner

AnthonyWeiner New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    :rolleyes:

Yup, a handful of people, on a picky forum, have had a few problems. MAYBE. Must be a problematic product.

Positive and negative people post equally, of course. We ALL know that.

Go to CNet today. BIG positive article on the Elite.

Virgin TiVo is a relative hit.

Positive subscriber growth for first time in years.

LOTS of positive response ON THIS FORUM about the latest SW release(includes Elite). (You obviously have NOT followed the forum the last two years. The mood is quite different.)

Actually, things have taken a VERY positive spin the last month or so. Future looks pretty bright for the entire Premiere line(including Elite), relatively speaking.

Some these things are directly related to the Elite OR they are all on the same basic platform, so it's all related indirectly.

Thinking of FINALLY picking up a Premiere Elite, myself. After sitting on the Series 4 sidelines for two years. Three VERY happy years with a HD XL after 4 miserable, expensive, stagnant years with a Comcast DVR.

Once again, IF you don't buy something because of a few bad posts ONLINE (worst place to consider opinions as law) you would never buy ANYTHING, EVER!

4. Feb 7, 2012 #4 of 76
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    My experience has been really bad. I actually RMA'd my Elite yesterday and its on its way back to Tivo as we speak for a replacement. Tivo has me jumping thru hoops over this one, which I really didnt expect from them. I had the "massive pixelation" issue where after about an hour or so of live TV theres a flood of pixelation and all the channels go black. After a reboot everything would come back. If youre asleep or gone then this is bad of course because youre not there to reboot and miss all your scheduled recordings. I did everything Tivo asked of me. Got the attenuators and tried those (-3, -6, -8, -10, -12, -16, -20) none of them helped. Went thru 4 cable cards and tuning adapters, and 3 service tech calls from Time Warner. The last one I had to pay for because they couldnt find anything wrong with my cable AGAIN. Moved the Elite to 4 different rooms in my house and the issues would follow the Elite wherever it went. Put my other 3 DVR's the same places and they always worked fine with no issues. I called the cable card hotline so much that the people on the other end started saying "oh yeah I remember you" and I got to know their names. Jennifer is probably the best, she always had them matched up in like 2 minutes. Everytime I would call Tivo they always tried to blame Time Warner and never really wanted to accept fault. Yesterday I couldnt believe the tech support guy from Tivo actually asked me to go outside and unhook the cable from the wall and try to fish the cable thru a window to get a better connection straight thru to the Tivo. I told him I wasnt going to do that. I mean whats next, go up on the roof with some sticks and tinfoil to see if that helps? (Yes I know its not OTA)

From what I have seen here, the people that are on Verizon Fios are doing great, I think because they dont use SDV. I think there is some sort of software glitch that is causing this, I dont think its hardware related. If youre in the market for a new Tivo my 2 cents is for you to just get a regular Premiere or an older Tivo HD but definately stay away stay away from the Elite for now. I cant recommend getting one at all. If this second Elite does the same thing then its going back for a refund and maybe a year or 2 from now I might try again. This has been a horrible experience for me, and I didnt expect this at all from Tivo. I went into this thinking that Tivo would be on my side but I dont feel that way anymore, especially after all the money I spent on this box.

On a positive note, I did however get the $99 lifetime deal on my 2 Tivo HD's when I bought the Elite so that was the only good thing that came out of this.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #5 of 76
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I've had my Elite for less than a week, and all has been flawless. Setup including the software update took less than 90 minutes, and the Cablecard pairing was completed on a five minute call to Cablevision (incl. hold time). Per Cablevision's instructions, I waited 24 hrs before attaching the Tuning Adapter, and although it took a few tries for the Elite to find it, the process still took less than 10 minutes.

Performance in the HDUI has been fine - I wouldn't call it speedy, but certainly more than acceptable. I too held off for the better part of two years before jumping to a Premiere, and am very happy that I did. I haven't experienced any issues, spontaneous reboots, etc.

6. Feb 7, 2012 #6 of 76
    mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
  7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 76
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I've had it for a few months and love it (I also have two S3's and had an S2, so I'm far from new to Tivo). One or two minor issues, but nothing more than I've had with my other units.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 76
    logicman

logicman Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I've had mine for a month now and I'm very pleased. As others have mentioned, having 4 tuners is awesome. I have been using the HDUI and find responsiveness after 20.2 to be acceptable.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 76
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    yes many of us, and it's documented very well in the Elite experiences thread

Only the S3 rocked my world more, but that Elite has not missed a beat yet.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you still within the 30 day window to cancel at no cost?

Does sending it back for another one extend that window any?

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes I'm still in the 30 day window. I'm not sure about when I get the new one if the 30 day window begins again with the new one or what happens. I'm going to have to find that out.

I really want this Elite to work too. I never had any issues like this before with a Tivo, they have always been A#1 Since my first Series 1. I got a new Premiere and it works so well I didnt think the addition of 2 more tuners was going to be that big a deal.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It might not be a big deal. Could just be a bad unit, afterall.

SDV and cablecards really can be a nightmare, especially for troubleshooting. Each has a slew of possible issues, then you have to combine it with signal quality/strength, head end programming, etc. I really feel for you having such problems, and do hope it ends up being just a defective box.

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I hope you're right! I been saving for months to get this box and was really excited about the 4 tuners. I got my fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'd tell them that you feel you deserve 30 days to fully evaluate a properly working TiVo to see if you want it or not, and if they don't want to go along with that you'll have to judge it by your rather painful experience so far.

15. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I also just went and looked at my account, and where I had gotten the $99 lifetime deals on my 2 HD's is now greyed out with the message "we are still processing your activation, please try again in 24 hours" and before it just said "plan - lifetime" so I guess they are going to take that away from me if I dont keep the Elite. I already paid for them too. They changed it since yesterday when I RMA'd the Elite.

16. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    had a premier XL and switched to the Elite. no issues, no problems. i am on Brighthouse in Central Florida. had a few issues pairing the cable card (bright house issues)but after that, no issues.

love the 4 tuners.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they offered lifetime for amount X and you paid X, I'd say that's a contract and they are obligated under it.

Just because they only offered it because of the S4 purchase, that doesn't mean that there was anything in the offer about it being contingent on the purchase.

They deprived you of the use of your money. They owe you the lifetime subs.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I love my Elite. Four tuners is amazing!

This is my 4th TiVo. I have two S3s still running.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, not if they refund him the money within the 30 days....

Sometimes TiVo does make "deals", but they can be contingent on something else. I am certainly no lawyer, but I am just saying that I can understand both points of view in this situation. Perhaps someone would just want to get a special deal on lifetime on some old units and purchased a new box to make that happen with the intent of returning it afterwards. By no means am I implying that "MeInDallas" would do that, I am just saying there are a lot of sly/shady people out there.

Generally, I don't think TiVo is out to screw people. I would give both parties the benefit of the doubt.

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Would have been a lot MORE amazing if it also supported OTA ATSC :/