Is anyone happy with the HD menus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rbienstock, Apr 26, 2010.

1. rbienstock

rbienstock Member

May 8, 2007

Advertisements

I am pretty happy with my Premiere XL. It performs flawlessly using the SD menus. I have never had a lockup or any other problem with the unit other than the fact that the HD menus are excruciatingly slow. I have about 40 or so recorded shows, and when I hit Ch Down to scroll the list, I get a green circle and it takes 2-3 minutes before the list actually scrolls. This is not a lockup, merely a delay. I get a similar delay when hitting the right arrow on a show listing before the screen with details displays. I can't see that this is a network issue, as my unit is plugged into a high-end Cisco gigabit switch with Cat-6 cable and I routinely get over 15 GB down on my internet service. I've gone back to the SD menus solely because the HD menus are so slow. But I really miss being able to have TV playing in a window when browsing. I have no use for the discovery bar, however. Are there any tricks to speeding up performance that anyone is aware of?

2. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I love the new HD menu's. I think they look amazing. Can't wait until TiVo gets all of the menu's in HD.

3. denise1768

denise1768 New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    it's very, very, very, very slow.

4. MikeTerryP

MikeTerryP Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I think that if they manage to speed up the new menus to the SD menu level and extend them across the board, they will be fantastic. I assume they will. Until then I'm sticking with the SD menus because they are very fast and I'm so used to them.

5. brasscat

brasscat New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Dallas

Advertisements

Very slow for me too. Back with SD menus and it's fine.

6. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Love the new menus, except for the speed, like others have said. I also can't wait for the rest of the menus to go HD. I hope they "fix" the current ones before migrating the other ones. I'd rather wait than have them all go HD and be slow.

Joe

7. denise1768

denise1768 New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I might just have to go back to SD.. it's really bad.

8. brasscat

brasscat New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Dallas
    Oh, but to answer your question, i like the HD menus when they're working. I see where TiVo is going on and like it. One thing I liked better about the SD menus was the subtly moving TiVo icon and the animated backgrounds. Made the system feel "alive" in a cool way. I hope they can figure out how to do those tricks with Flash someday.

9. sbq

sbq New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    my sentiments exactly. If the HD menu's were much faster, along the lines of the SD menu speeds, I'd be relatively happy with them.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Mine have never taken anywhere close to two to three minutes. The most my HD menus have taken is a few seconds to page down in the My Shows list.

I have been very pleased with the HD menus. It's like a preview of what is yet to come. It should only get better as they tweak the code and also add more HD menus. But the more I use the HD menus, the more I hate the SD menus.

11. brasscat

brasscat New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Dallas
    Although it doesn't make sense, but I'm seeing a pattern of XL users having less problems. Is there something in the XL different than the standard model that could be speeding things up?

12. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I think the HD menus are a good taste of things to come, but not happy with the occasional lags in operation, nor the dump to SD going into certain menus.

I'm very cool with the Discovery bar, and like the fact that the window in the upper right can be paused and/or toggled on and off.

The lack of HD banner/info overlays sort of kill the HD experience. I'm anxiously waiting for the next update, which will hopefully improve performance and take the HD-UI deeper.

13. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I'd like the HD menus if they were faster and they worked a little better.
    I have a couple of nitpicks with the HD menus. The first is that when you are finished with a show and delete it the next screen that comes up is the first info page for the show (The screen which you usually select "play" from) With the SD menus, the next screen is the now playing list.
    The second is that the information on the far right of the screen isn't always updated when you change from one show to another. So it will say that Modern Family was recorded on the History Channel or something similar if you were watching something from the History Channel prior to watching Modern Family. Is anyone else getting this BTW? I can post a screen shot later if it's unclear as to what I'm referring to.

14. Fist of Death

Fist of Death Bon Vivant

Jan 4, 2002
    The Emerald...
    The HD menus are very pretty and will someday be one of my favorite parts of my new Premiere XL...but not today. Once they can debug the problems I've experienced and speed things up by enabling the second processor core, I can imagine Series 3 and HD users will be green with envy - but 'till then, I'll just continue to use the SD menus. For now, I guess I have a really fast HD TiVo.

15. RichB

RichB Oppo Beta Group

Apr 2, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I like the HD menus and the switching in and out of HD mode is pretty bad.

However, having a modern device pause to display 6 lines of text and then display like a teletype is pretty embarrassing. Let's just say, I would not put that on my resume ;)

- Rich

16. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Well, since this is my first Tivo, I'm quite happy with the HD menus. I can't say I've had any desire to try the SD ones as of yet.

I think the problem may be that everyone is comparing the device to older Tivos rather than cableco dvrs. Compared to the peice of junk Scientific Atlanta boxes we had from TWC, the Tivo with the HD menus is lightning fast.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm quite happy with my Premiere (not so happy with Tivo support).

17. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    1. If you select "Play" on the show you want to watch from the NPL( instead of Select or >) Deleting at the end will act like what we are used to.
    2. Not having a problem with your second issue. Mine changes and matches accordingly.

18. shiftless

shiftless New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    I have noticed the HD menus are insanely slow if my internet connection isn't working. Paging down will get the 2-3 minute green circle. Still, they are very unresponsive and irritating but waiting for an update to fix the responsiveness. Normally only a few seconds to load, but really, that should be instantaneous.

19. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I love the new HD menus! They do slow down to a few seconds between actions sometimes, but I can handle a few seconds delay for the rich experience the HD menus offer. I've never had a lock-up and I've never had an action take longer than say 5 secs max. On average, I get a 1-2 sec response to any command in the HD menus. :D

20. dredm

dredm New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    Yes I like the HD menus and they move rather fast for me. I am so glad I'm not one of those people having lots of problems and slowness.

On the flip side, my wife does not like them because the font and size is smaller. I told her then we just need to get a bigger screen :D