Is anyone else still haunted by children of Earth?...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by emandbri, Jan 25, 2010.

How often have you thought about children of earth since watching it?...

1. I have thought about it every couple of days or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have thought about it about once a week

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. I have thought about it about once a month

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I have thought about it 2 or 3 times

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. I have thought about it one other time since watching

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. I haven't thought about it at all since watching it

29 vote(s)
    42.6%
  7. I never saw it but now I want to!

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. I never saw it but now I don't want to.

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Advertisements

I've posted before that I have had trouble with shows effecting me, particularly that after my daughter was born I got into a pretty freaky depression thing after watching dead like me and stopped watching it.

I can't seem to get Children of Earth out of my mind, I would say something reminds me of it and I think about it at least once a week. It was just so dark and disturbing, I honestly wish I hadn't seen it. I don't dwell on it or anything, I am able to put it out of my mind and think about something else a few minutes later.

Is anyone else having this trouble 6 months later? Is this yet another thing I need to discuss with a therapist? :eek: I didn't think mine was helpful and stopped going.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I certainly wasn't haunted by it. It was a work of fiction that I enjoyed, nothing more than that. I've thought about it a couple of times since watching it but that was because some thread here triggered the memory.

3. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    The only times I think about it are when discussing how good it was with a fellow sci-fi fan.

I also think you could benefit from therapy.

4. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    The only thing I think about regarding it is how it fell apart at the end of the fourth episode.

5. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL

Advertisements

Children of Earth was powerful and I enjoyed it very much. I selected "two or three times" in the poll. It hasn't lingered with me, particularly, though it certainly was compelling television.

I have noticed, over all, a change in my viewing habits after becoming a father. I used to watch all types of horror stuff and wouldn't bat an eye. ("Horror" encompassing both the "scary" and "gory" ends of the spectrum). In fact, it was one of my favorite genres. I've noticed that, since becoming a parent, I seem to have a much lower tolerance for horror. I now actively avoid it. I've never seen any of the Saw movies, The Ring, the newer "...of the Dead" movies, etc. Yet I couldn't get enough of them before I had kids.

If you feel like you're in a "freaky depression" after having a child, don't dismiss it. You could have post-partum depression. If you didn't like your therapist then it probably would be a good idea to seek out a different one.

6. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I would hope that series does not have a lingering negative effect on many people. It would only give further credence of the vanilla creampuff storylines that network execs approve. But maybe they have done their market research and are smarter that me.

7. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    I really enjoyed the movie. I think the scary part might be that sometimes really harsh decisions have to be made. Military Commanders have to send boys into die. That is thier job. Sometimes you have to decide which civilians have to die to save the rest. Even when it is a child, tough decisions have to be made.
    Heroes are the ones that have to make the tough decisions to save lives, even when those decisions won't be popular.

8. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I do think it would effect parents more than non parents. It could also effect women more than men, not sure yet since so far no women have responded to the thread.

That was when she was first born and I did get better. She is now 3 1/2 don't think I can qualify postpartum depression.

Here is the thread if folks want to see it.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=315600&highlight=dead+like+me

I'll have to see if I want to find another therapist. I started going in the fall and we had already met our deductibles for the year so each session was $15. Now that it is a new year it is $60. Honestly, I don't think the help I would get would be worth the stress of paying $60. We are still going to the couples one just not as often.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I keep reminding myself to get around to nominating it for a Hugo (long form) but it does not haunt me.

10. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I only think about it whenever I wonder if there will be another season of Torchwood, and who's gonna be in it.

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    We were discussing it in another forum, a couple of days ago actually. My reply there might be interesting in light of what you've said here:

12. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I picked that I haven't thought about it at all, because I haven't just out of the blue. I have thought about it when I've run across a discussion of it.

13. pteronaut

pteronaut Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I wonder how many people who watched CoE, have irrational doubts concerning the H1N1 vacinations given to schoolchildren.

The story was especially powerful as RTD managed to write in a method of gathering the children with a theme that is or would be on many parent's mind last year.

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Totally different thing. For one thing, seasonal flu vaccinations have been around for years. Also there were deaths of children and young people caused by the H1N1 virus in excess of the norm for seasonal flu. Required vaccinations are normal in most areas.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I still have it on a Tivo, so I think of it almost daily when I see it on the NPL. I started rewatching it a few weeks ago but so far have only viewed the first two parts

16. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    wow - this, exactly. I try to explain it to people, and they just don't get it.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I don't get it and I never will. I don't have children and never wanted them. I noticed that sometimes my friends change enough after they have children, that I drift away from the friendship.

18. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Once I became a father, I found I didn't like shows that dealt with kids dying. I don't shy away from any particular genre, though.

It's like being affected by shows when elderly parents pass right after your own folks die. Or watching a movie about an adulterous spouse when the same has just happened to you. It hurts too much to watch.

19. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    you drift away from your friends because they don't like watching horror anymore? Because, that's all we're talking about here.

20. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's probably significant that I had to read most of the thread to even figure out the subject was a series of Torchwood. I guess it didn't make a big impression, I barely can remember anything about it.