Is ANYONE actually HAPPY with their S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by landrvr1, Sep 20, 2006.

1. landrvr1

landrvr1 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Whew, talk about the early adopter blues! I haven't seen so much bitching, whining, and complaining since.....well.....

I was all set to pull the trigger on the S3, but boy am I glad I'm waiting. Problem after problem after problem.

The latest is the IR issue! Whew (double whew!)!

Is anyone happy with their S3? Can I get some love here? How about, "Hey, the design of the case is fantastic!" Anyone?

Anyone?

*insert sound of crickets*

:p

2. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I LOVE it. No more crappy Motorola box!
    The CableCard installation was painless, once the installer got over his fear of installing in something other than a TV!

3. Big Behr

Big Behr New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've been quite pleased. I had been using a Series 2 for a non-HD TV in the bedroom and a Cox Scientific Atlanta 8300 in the main viewing room. It's nice to have the superior search/skip, search for programs, ease of setting up Season Passes and overall friendly look and feel.
    Things which the SA did better included speed/responsiveness, an indication of how much room was left and the PIP ability. Hoping some of these may come along with software upgrades.

4. diamar

diamar New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Love mine too....excellent PQ, grate OTA reception, works flawlessly (so far...1 day!), beautiful industrial design (I'm sad to keep it in the cabinet with my other electronics)...

5. jdbruce

jdbruce New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Love mine.

6. NOD

NOD Chim Richalds

Aug 26, 2006
    I'll be able to give a more full response to this one after the cablecards are (hopefully) installed, but as of right now, I love it. I know that early software for new products is almost invariably quirky, but as a new release, this is absolutely great.

BTW, the OTA reception rocks.

7. sharding

sharding Member

Feb 11, 2001
    Seattle/East...
  8. nandopr

nandopr Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    I like it, even when I had the IR issue. I did manage to resolve it, in my case. No regrets, so far.

9. dlmart2

dlmart2 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    love mine too. The CableCard (COmcast) install went smoothly, even though the tech had never done one b4. He was honest up front and said "I'v never done a TiVo install but we'll work through it together". It went very smooth and it wa so easy to do.

He said it could take up to 2 hours for all thr pogramming (digital channels) to come in, and they were actually working withing a few minutes.

10. Omnius

Omnius New Member

May 30, 2006
    Nothing wrong with my S3 itself. Its just the hassle of dealing with Comcast to get the cable cards, and the shipping issues with my order straight from tivo.com that has me sour. The unit itself is great. :)

11. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Is this with the former Adelphia -- now TWC?

Michael

12. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    I like the one I have (I'd love it with MRV).

I'm not terribly pleased with the one that still hasn't arrived at my house.

13. jodell

jodell TiVo geek

Jul 9, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    I am quite happy with my S3. I would buy a second to completely rid myself of the cable company's HD DVR is my bank account would support it. :')

No early adopter blues here. The S3 is everything I expected when I made the purchase.

Jeff

14. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm satisfied. I could nit pick, but as a whole there's nothing really even worth nit picking.

Initially, I seemed to have some remote delay. That happened once or twice - maybe when the box was busy or updating itself or something (this coincided with the cable card install), but since those initial instances, no problems with the remote control. I HAVE seen differences in response times from various TiVos I own (most notably, the 540-series Series 2 box I have, which is slow, and we all pretty much attribute to the software update), but my Series 3's response time is on par with my fastest box (which would be the dual tuner S2).

There have been people who have posted about remote control delay. But I wouldn't panic just yet and think there's a widespread problem with the remote controls.

And to be fair, I wouldn't go so far as to say there has been "problem after problem" with the S3. It's not like there are masses of people with defective boxes. There have been issues regarding cablecards, which are regionalized instances with cable companies that can be overcome. I had ZERO cablecard issues myself, all the way from ordering to installation. There have been issues with shipping, but that's logistics. And if you examine some of the other complaints as a whole, I'd chalk up A LOT of them to perception and preference - not defects.

15. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    I, and about 200 other folks, have the special VIP Phantom S3- can't speak for the others, but I'm delighted with mine...no interference, super quiet and STEALTHY.

16. monkeyboy1010

monkeyboy1010 Long Time User

Nov 17, 2000
    South...
    Increased funtionality over the HR10-250, better picture quality, looking forward updated features as well.

17. Craig S

Craig S New Member

Nov 3, 2002
    League City, TX
    Bought mine at Fry's Monday, transferred lifetime from a Series 1. I love it, love it, love it. I am using it in strictly OTA mode (no cable here). The ATSC tuners are rock solid. It's now filled with Season Passes, as well as recording all the pilots I want to try (which is most of them). I love looking at my ToDo list and seeing two shows scheduled for the same time, and not conflicting. Dual tuners ROCK!!

The new remote is awesome. The minor changes they made are actual improvements. The backlighting is perfect.

Now, being one of the Lucky 200, I STILL have yet to receive the S3 I ordered at 8:30 AM last Tuesday. The plan is to refuse it or send it back when it arrives... but I have to admit I'm toying with the idea of keeping it and replacing the lifetime-subbed S2 in the bedroom... Really can't justify another grand, but it's tempting... That should tell you how much I love it.

18. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I've got mine into the state I wanted it, I'm happy. I'm not happy after talking to the cable company though.

19. veto

veto New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I was one of the folks who was absolutly livid over the shipping snafus. Now that I have it I am quite pleased. Although I have had Tivo's for a while all my HD recording was via the spawn of the Devil ...... Windows Media Center via Firewire.

Now if I could just get my shipping refund. I picked my unit up at best buy Friday after cancelling my order.

20. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I bought mine for OTA only (since we have really good OTA in Dallas). And i'd buy it again in a heartbeat (so far).