1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody watching Shooter?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mike20878, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1 of 31
    Mike20878

Mike20878 Jake & Adam's dad

Jun 8, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I wasn't sure it would catch on me at first but I've grown to really like it. I read the original book and saw the movie so I wondered how they could make this into a series.

I hope it isn't just Swagger on the run going into a new season. That will get old fast.

What are the language rules for cable tv? I know they don't fall under the FCC but usually try to play by the rules anyway. But this last episode Tom Sizemore gets to say "bullshite" uncensored but anytime the word "f**k" is said it's muffled out.

2. Jan 3, 2017 #2 of 31
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I've been watching it. I don't think it's as good as the promos led me to believe it would be, but it keeps my attention. His wife and the FBI agent do, too.

I heard a couple weeks ago that it was renewed for season 2. I agree in that I *really* hope they don't drag the whole conspiracy out and, instead, hope they wrap up it up and start a something new next season, à la "24".

I've been hearing muffled 'f**k' bombs more and more in shows, and often so barely muffled (I've hit the replay button to verify that it was really actually was few times), that I wonder why they even bother.

3. Jan 3, 2017 #3 of 31
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Don't worry, there are multiple Bob Lee Swagger books.

This one will conclude the story from "Point of Impact", which has now been made into a movie AND one season of TV.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #4 of 31
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, I'm watching it. I never read the book (been meaning to) but I loved the movie. I like this kind of show, so when I caught a holiday marathon, I recorded it all. And upset because I binged and have to wait for the last few episodes.

I'm pretty sure season 1 will wrap up the entire book and season 2 will start another book - I believe the season 2 renewal came up mid-season so they had to film the entire season assuming there wasn't going to be a renewal. And there are what, 8 Bob Lee Swagger books out there now?

And I'm glad Canada is showing them at the same time - not months later.

How's the book? I always worry because I read it was set in the 60s and thus seems old-timey to me. (I do like how the show has kept up with the times, though I'm sure in 5 years it'll be dated).

5. Jan 4, 2017 #5 of 31
    Mike20878

Mike20878 Jake & Adam's dad

Jun 8, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I loved the book. I don't recall that it was set in the 60's. Instead of being an Iraq or Afghanistan vet, I think Swagger was a Vietnam vet. I can't remember if I read any others, but I did read Dirty White Boys. That takes place in the 40's or 50's with Swagger's dad, a cop, and two escaped violent felons. Great book.

Oh, now i remember a Bob Lee book that takes place in Havana.

6. Jan 4, 2017 #6 of 31
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    My wife and I are watching. We are a couple of eps behind, but we've been enjoying it.

7. Jan 5, 2017 #7 of 31
    Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I'm enjoying it even though it's a bit predictable. I've not read the book nor seen the movie so I'm coming into it very fresh.

8. Jan 8, 2017 #8 of 31
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I started the first episode because of this thread.

I've just started episode six.

Thanks!

9. Jan 8, 2017 #9 of 31
    RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I'm enjoying the series. I've read all the Bob Lee books and saw the movie.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Good series, glad it's coming back

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I liked it despite Ryan Phillipe. I think he's a terrible actor.

12. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I just started watching season 1. I think I'm on episode 6 or 7 now. Never watched the movie. I'm assuming it would be best to wait until S1 is over and then watch the movie????

Never knew this character was the main person in other books. Has anyone read them? Do you need to read them in a certain order?

13. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I watched season 1, then the movie. I have first book (Point of Impact) on my kindle, but I don't remember if I read it or not.

Season 1 was good, and I think the movie was as well. It's been awhile since I've seen them.

14. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yep, loved the TV show, loved the movie and loved the book. Kind of liked the illustrations that show up when he's calculating a shot, just goes to show how much of it is really a mental game.

Of course, nowadays you can get guns that do all the hard calculations for you - they literally become point and shoot (you designate the target, and the computers calculate everything. You pull the trigger and the computer doesn't fire until the shot gets lined up, and arrows show up helping you get lined up properly).

15. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    How does the gun know what the wind is like a mile away? Does it ask Alexa?

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I binged the first two season on Netflix over the last four days. I mostly like it even though it has its eye rolling situations. I was very surprised that season 2 ended so abruptly, mid story, in episode 8. I was expecting two more episodes but while searching for the reason why, read that Philippe had broken his leg. Season two kinda went Burn Notice-ish. Anyway, I'll check out season 3. Not sure if I want to subject myself to Comcast's non-fastforwardable on-demand. I might become a pirate until I catch up.

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    First two seasons? Geez, I didn't realize it came back on.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I got caught up yesterday after suffering through Comcast's on-demand for three episodes. I can't say that I'm thrilled with the direction this season is going in. I'll let the remaining episodes pile up for a couple of weeks on the tivo and watch a couple of them in dead times to see if I want to finish the season.

19. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I watched S1 and S2, S1 was better, but I've got S3 on the DVR and will likely binge it one of these days.

20. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I watched season 1 as a binge after it completed. S2 and S3 are waiting for a binge. I liked S1 but heard S2 wasn't that good. Was contemplating if I should keep it as a SP. Hope it picks up stream.

Dirty White Boys sounds interesting too. Thanks for the heads up.