Is a NON-Tivo Power Supply an option?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by darklyte, Dec 4, 2015.

1. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY

Advertisements

Has anyone tried using a non-TiVo PSU on their unit?

Given the cost, age and availability of original TiVo power supplies for the Series 3 where they are about $50 - $100 depending on what you track down, does anyone have experience or thoughts on options for putting in a new easily available, off the shelf type PSU?

There is the size/fit issue seems to be the main barrier but perhaps there is something out there that might work.

I wouldn't think the wattage would need to be an exact match as TiVo would just pull what it needs but I'm not an expert so could be wrong.

For example, a PicoPSU would seem like it could fit, though the connection on the back of the TiVo box would be pretty ugly and require some DIY skills.
    http://www.mini-box.com/Power-Supplies-Kits

Anyone have thoughts on why this would/wouldn't work and suggestions for power supplies that could be a fit?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The original Tivo PS is simple and easy to keep healthy with a handful of commonly available capacitors, why would I want to reinvent the wheel? any custom work is more work than replacing the caps IMNSHO.

3. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY
    Definitely see your point that replacing capacitors is much cheaper and easier for someone with the experience and the equipment.

For me, it would be at least $40 to buy the soldering equipment, capacitors, etc. and hope I don't blow-up anything. :eek: I'm not opposed to this and may try anyway, seems a good investment.

But was thinking if I could get a brand new, non-TiVo PSU circa 2015 instead of 2007 it might be more reliable, comparable cost and easier to deal with/replace for those of us lacking soldering skills.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you don't know enough about electricity and electronics to do the cap replacement on a TiVo power supply, you really shouldn't be trying to adapt some other power supply to it.

For example: The TiVo motherboards, at least up through the 3 S3 models, have no provision to handle the ATX signaling necessary for the supplies to which you linked.

5. darklyte

darklyte Joe

Sep 16, 2003
    New York, NY

Advertisements

Thanks! was curious if that was the case. I know barely enough about electronics to ask the question and think about other options, but obviously not nearly enough to know what would work so appreciate you weighing in and confirming.

I was looking for an alternate to buying another 8-year old tired PSU that will also inevitably fail soon and leave me back in the same spot, having a bad power supply that needs fixing.

Suppose it would have been too easy to think I could order up something on Newegg... Guess I've gotta get ready to learn soldering now!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The good news is that it's a fairly simple soldering job on which to learn.

Should be plenty of advice on how to do it right in the bad cap thread where you'll find out how to find out which power supply you have and which caps need replacing on it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=473394