Is 720p the best resolution available for Netflix?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vbgregg, May 29, 2011.

1. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi,

I am new to Netflix streaming. I signed up for a free 1 month trial. So far, the best resolution I have obtained is 720p. On my Sony bluray with wireless, I can get 1080p. Is 720p the best resolution available for Netflix on a Tivo HD unit via wireless? If not, what do I need to do to enable 1080?

I have a Tivo wireless G network adapter. Would a Tivo wireless N adapter help? The Sony bluray player can display 1080p with wireless G. What benefits is my Tivo HD likely to see from wireless N? They are pretty expensive, so unless there is a good reason to upgrade, I don't want to spend the extra money. I'm guessing that transfers between my Tivo and my computer, or between one Tivo and another Tivo, would be faster with wireless N. Is that true? Even if it is, would streaming Netflix see any improvement?

Thanks for the help,

Gregg

2. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I called Tivo Tech Support and the guy told me that upgrading to a Tivo wireless N adapter would not help me get a higher resolution picture with Netflix. Currently 720p is the best Tivo's software offers. I suppose I should have called Tivo before posting, but I figured they would tell me anything to get me to buy a new (and expensive) wireless adapter.

Gregg

3. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I think you'll find the Sony is upscaling the image to 1080p which you can also do via the TiVo. Only the PS3 has higher quality streams than 720p (1080p) via Netflix.