IR with Cablevision Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nitchguitarist, Jan 5, 2004.

1. nitchguitarist

nitchguitarist New Member

Jan 5, 2004

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just got TiVo this week. My cable subscriber is Cablevision in the Bronx and I have a Scientif Atlanta digital cable box.

There's a small (1/8") IR plug in the back of the cable box. Can I plug a cable there and plug the other end on the back of the TiVo box. The basic hookup now (with those two little "antenna" looking thingys pointing to the red bulb) is very slow.

If the cable will work should I get a mono or stereo 1/8" cable?

2. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    No, you can't control a Scientific Atlanta box through its IR Blaster VCR Commander output port.

3. jdbnyc

jdbnyc New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    you know, I have been looking through all of the threads about this very same problem. The only thing I see is that the back of the SclAtl Explorer 4200HD is an output port. Fine. I understand that. So, how do we hook up the IR things?

I have been looking all over the box for some way to input a signal. I couldn't see anything in the front. There was no area that receives an IR signal. Are we missing something?

4. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    [​IMG]

To see the cable box's IR sensor, shine a bright flashlight through its front.

5. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ

Advertisements

It IR receiver on the SA4200 is just to the right of the channel number display on the front of the box.

6. RobertDorans

RobertDorans New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    What setting do you do for SA 4200HD

7. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    I don't have a specific IR code reported for that model, but almost all Scientific Atlanta Explorer cable boxes in the U.S. use 00018 at fastest setting.

8. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You realize that you can't record or pass-through HD signals with TiVo, right?