Ir to rf

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by johnfasc, Sep 11, 2019.

1. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I have two identical TiVo remotes. One is six the other is two years old. Both used with a Roamio ota box. They both work fine. All elements work as normal. The older one is set to work in the rf mode, which is what I need. The newer one is in the ir mode. I tried everything to reprogram to make them both work in rf. No luck. Did the TiVo and c button, d button.. removed battery tried again. Tried to reset both. Just can't get them both in the rf mode.
    Perhaps they both cannot be in the same mode?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The remotes can look identical. Not all remotes are RF capable, only remotes since the Roamio came out were.

When you hold Tivo + C, watch for the remote light to blink red a few times. You would be in IR mode.
    When you hold Tivo + D, watch for the remote light to blink yellow a few times, then it would be in RF mode.

If none of this works, then the remote is not capable of RF. However, the remote can possibly control up to 9 Tivo boxes individually, although only 2 max at once. This is an IR address that is set while in System Information screen. To set, be sure any other Tivo is not in line of sight of the remote, either cover the IR window with something thick, or even power them off. If the remote is RF capable, switch to IR mode. Hold Tivo + Pause, light blinks red a few times. Then, press a number from 1-9. The remote is set for that address. Press left arrow or Back to leave the System Information screen. This Tivo is now set for that address. You can repeat with a different number and a different Tivo.

RF is different as the remote must be paired to the Tivo under Settings / remote / pairing (not the exact wording). A single RF remote can be paired to the single Tivo, but several remotes can be paired to a single Tivo.

=-=-=

I use 2 remotes and they can control 2 different Tivos. The Roamio is controlled under RF and the Series 3 is under IR. All I have to do is to switch between RF and IR to control the S3, vice versa for the Roamio with just a single remote. I have both set that way. One of them is the remote with a keyboard.

3. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Got it! I was using the TiVo button and letter press instead of the Setting, remote pairing. Both remotes are now in the rf mode. Thanks!

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo + C/D does not pair remotes, only switches the modes.