IR Sensor Location

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by JWadle, Aug 15, 2017.

1. JWadle

JWadle TiVo Fan

May 2, 2015
    Boulder CO
    Can anyone confirm the location of the IR sensor on the Mini? I've seen at least three locations claimed on random forum posts, but I've been unable to see any of them with a flashlight, etc. I am interested in pinpointing the location so I can mount a mini-blaster on it and also block other IR signals that hit the front of the Mini.

Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On a v2 Mini it's about in the middle. I have IR blocker in front, centered, about two inches wide. No idea about the v1 Mini. A v2 Mini has a centered logo (A93).

3. psywzrd

psywzrd Member

Mar 25, 2003
    How do I know if my minis are v2? They look like this. What is the EXACT location of the IR sensor on these?

Attached Files:

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That is A93. Exact location can only be found through trial & error or opening the unit. I use RF.

5. psywzrd

psywzrd Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Tried RF already - it’s unreliable to say the very least. IR via an IR extender should be much more reliable assuming I can find the IR sensor on this thing. Would electrical tape be good enough to block out different areas on the front to try to pin point the sensor?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would say that is correct.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    RF should be more reliable so not sure what's in your environment that would cause issues with RF?

Scott

8. psywzrd

psywzrd Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Apparently the TiVo RF issues are well-known and well-documented on this website, and I’ve definitely had major problems with it. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve overshot my target while fast-forwarding during a sporting event, which is particularly infuriating. Of course I would prefer RF if it was reliable because I could just point the remote anywhere; however, the reality for me is that it works maybe 75% of the time, which is completely unacceptable.