IR Receiver Sensor Blocked

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by trezvining@yahoo, Oct 13, 2007.

1. trezvining@yahoo

trezvining@yahoo New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place....I'm new here.....
    We have a motorhome, well equipped, but the 'entertainment center' area is a little cramped. The Tivo (DirecTv R15) is located in a position that is blocked by the bottom of the cabinet door (wire mesh with wood frame) and doesn't function well without opening, and leaving open, the cabinet door - bummer. I've tried a mirror, and a couple of other things with no good result. I thought of maybe using a short length of fiber optic cable, but don't know if it's worth even trying. Don't want to 'jack up' the box unless absoutely necessary. Surely someone has had this problem and arrived at some decent solution without having to leave the door open with the inevitable bumped head.
    Any suggestions out there?
    Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    Trez

2. TomJHansen

TomJHansen Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    Here is a link to one that works fairly well at Radio Shack

Remote Extender

You put the receiver inside the cabinet. Works like a champ.

3. trezvining@yahoo

trezvining@yahoo New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Thanks alot.
    I will start looking at this option. Sounds GOOD!
    Trez

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The R15 isn't a TiVo. The R10 is the last DirecTV TiVo DVR.

You can try remote extender devices. Or you can modify the cabinet door to allow IR through, if not relocate the DVR to where it can see the IR signal.

If you want to get "into it" literally, you can add an IR extension jack to the DVR, in paralell with its built in IR receiver, where you can plug in an external IR receiver, if you are not leasing that DVR though.