1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Extender / Blaster Help - Is there such a thing? Where to get one?

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by elitef, Apr 14, 2017.

1. elitef

elitef New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Hello All,

I am not new to TiVo but I am not much of a pro.
    I currently moved into a new house and would like to have all my tivo's in one central location due to the space issue by the TV's, so, I would like to route all Tivos to where my network hub is which is in another room, in a closet, behind a door.

Is there any IR blaster of some sort that I would be able to route through the attic of the house into each bedrooms TV?

I am searched but came up with nothing, so unless my search was done incorrectly, I am hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I have 4 TiVo Premiere's with Lifetime subscriptions which I want in one centralized location.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How are you getting the video from the TiVo to the TV?

3. elitef

elitef New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    I would end up doing HDMIs through the attic and down the wall. Not worried about the video aspect, more worried about being able to control the tivo haha

4. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Have you considered using a network remote such as the one included in the iOS & Android TiVo apps?

5. elitef

elitef New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Yes, but I do not want to do that necessarily because if we have guests over, I do not want to have them install an app to control the channels in the two guest bedrooms that we have, just more of a PITA compared to using an old fashion remote.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How about a wireless extender such as this one?

7. elitef

elitef New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    How does something like this work?
    I have never used one or even heard of one.

It is a split level house. Main floor will have one TV (livingroom), about 5-6 stairs up 3 bedrooms, and about 7 stairs down is the basement which will have 1 tv. So will something like this work for all of them? or no?

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I have no idea. But I also don't know how far a wired extender could drive the signal.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I think you broke Monoprice.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you looked at just getting Minis for the secondary rooms?

11. elitef

elitef New Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Yes, but wont work since all my tivo's are premiere's but the 2-tuner versions

12. TomJHansen

TomJHansen Member

Nov 6, 2000
    Mesa, AZ, USA
    Instead of using remotes to connect to the Tivo - you could use the Tivo App. It connects over the network and contains a remote control. This is the "How to" setup guide for iOS (there's one on the website for Android also)...Use the TiVo app for iOSĀ® devices

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    See posts 4 & 5.

14. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    there is a rf dongle, there was a bluetooth, i dont know if either dongle extended ir but why not switch to rf remotes?

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    'Cause that's about $70 a pop?

16. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    most that conceal or centralize their equipment have no issue paying for a dongle... dongles are <$20 if you have a compatible remote. i think the advanced slide remote with dongle can be had for $50 or less.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You also have to buy the remote.

podmon likes this.
  18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    He did mention that cost as well although he's off slightly. You can get the TiVo Slide Pro Remote with dongle for $60 or you can get the regular TiVo RF remote and the dongle separately for $55.

Scott

19. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    I haven't used it myself but what about this? IR Extender Over HDMI - Monoprice.com

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017