IR Connection ?? Round Serial ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stuartmo, Jan 25, 2006.

1. stuartmo

stuartmo New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I just moved across state lines and now have Times Warner (digital HD). The Pioneer Voyager(?) cable boxes I was issued have a round serial port and a plug-in IR location. Can I adapt the horizontal serial cable to a round (and how do I do it) or can I go to radio shack and get a pin jack connector to connect the two?? (the pin on the light emmiting controller has only 2 contacts, the one on the serial connector has three. Which should I use?)

I'll try anything not to have to hook up lights.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Please clarify "a round serial port and a plug-in IR location". Did you get a manual with the cable box? If so, it should tell you which jacks are for serial input. Most cable boxes that accept serial input either have the normal DB9 serial connector or some sort of phone jack for input. No tivos have fiber optic serial that I know of.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Please post your answer here so more folks can help rather than in a PM. I guess what you are asking is what would happen if you connected the stereo serial (or IR) jack on the back of the TiVo to the stereo jack on the back of the cable box intended for IR output (not input). I have not a clue and have no idea whether you could hurt anything in either unit by trying. If your round serial jack is for input then it would seem like it ought to work with Tivo output once you get the correct cable. Other forum members are going to have to help you with this one.