IR Code for New H20 Directv Receiver (and stand alone Tivo)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by smlee6, Nov 26, 2005.

1. smlee6

smlee6 New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I just upgraded my satellite receiver to HD with a H20 Directv receiver (with no serial connection). I have searched high and low for the IR code so I can change the channels of my H20 Directv receiver through my Tivo (and record, etc.).

1) Yes, I have the receiver set to IR, and not RF
    2) Yes, I searched the nice fellow's forum posting with every IR code made so far, and no, the H20 is not listed, perhaps because it is new.
    2a) Yes, I tried the codes of the H10 and other Hughes/Directv receivers and they don't work.
    3) Yes, I called the Tivo support line and they are stumped. They say they have no documentation on the H20 because it is new.
    4) No, the Tivo tech support folks do not talk to the engineering folks and are not able to tell me when they might have such an IR code.
    5) Yes, I am hoping someone stumbled upon it already!!!

Thanks for any help!

2. mesococo

mesococo New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    I am having the same exact problems too... My H20 is an LG box and even those codes are not working. Here's the kicker... if I use the DirecTV codes, they do "work". What I mean about it "works" is that it seems like the size of the H20 box seems to be bigger than how the IR emitters can be placed to transmit appropriately. I got the H2O to switch channels but I had to Hold teh Emitters at a certain position. In a Position that will not work for normal usage. I might need to come up with a custom mounting option for the Emitters to get this to work or if you come up with something please post!
    thx

3. smlee6

smlee6 New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I would love to know the position of the emitters you are talking about. I'm willing to try anything.

Thinking it may be time to call tivo again.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    On the h20's oem remote, when you blink back the IR code your receiver is responding to, which is it 00001 or 00002? The only code that the tivo will know is the 00001 native code on the white remote.

5. Mar 7, 2006 #5 of 16
    tivo christy

tivo christy New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    what codes are you using to even get as far as it being a placement issue?

I can't find anything close to select for my series2 to control my H20

6. Mar 8, 2006 #6 of 16
    texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Don't know about the Tivo codes but the H20 responds to the same IR code set as the D10, I have a Pronto remote and I copied the codes from someone else's file, they work fine...

7. Mar 8, 2006 #7 of 16
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Unless the H20 is set to different IR address or set to RF.

8. Mar 8, 2006 #8 of 16
    tivo christy

tivo christy New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I found that if I did a complete new guided set-up and selected DTV as a provider the codes worked. to get to the adv menu that actually tells you the codes it is trying, while you are in the channel changing menu:

On your TiVo remote, press the following keys in order:

THUMBS UP
    THUMBS DOWN
    PAUSE
    PLAY

(from the TiVo knowledge base)
    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv103302.htm?

the 10074-B codes appear to be the ones working the H20 the best.

Now on to trying to figure out why the S-video looks so bad on my Hitachi plasma, I knew it would be down res'd to 480i but it appears to have some other noise on it ....

9. case31

case31 New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    For me, the 10074-C code works the best. I did have to put the ir emitters about 2 inches away from the directv box and then taped them down.

10. joel1131

joel1131 New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    The 10074 code doesn't work for me A, B or C! Any other ideas? I have moved the transmitters all over and get nothing.

11. mlittlehale

mlittlehale New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I noticed the the IR heads need to way out in front of the H20 receiver. I had to tape them to a stiff piece of cardboard as they were so far out in front that only the cord was lying on the receiver. So try to hold them fairly far out in front and use the 10074B or 10074C codes. They both worked for me.

12. Venice

Venice New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    We had the same problem. We taped two popcicle sticks to the IR Transmitters and placed them further out, about 3", and that seemed to let the signal connect with the Directv HD receiver.
    We didn't have to mess with the IR codes.
    My husband is happy now. HEH!

13. synergyof2

synergyof2 New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    I just switched to DirecTV from Comcast, the picture quality is soooo much better! :) Anyway, I have the H20 DirecTV box and at first had some issues with the IR connection. Thanks to those of you who posted here I realized all was not lost! ;)
    The trick to getting your IR sensors to change the DirecTV box is distance. However, I was not to keen on the popcicle stick idea as mentioned above.
    Try this, it works for me with no need for any modifications and actually looks better than dangling on top and bottom. Place the IR sensors on either side of the DirecTV box. :)

14. DrewM

DrewM New Member

Dec 25, 2003
    I have read elsewhere that there is a 3rd party USB-Serial solution that will allow for serial control of an H20...the dongle is from a company called Paterson Technology (www.patersontech.com). Has anyone actually done this?

15. gobears

gobears New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I just received an inexpensive fix for the IR emitter positioning. For under $10 I got a replacement emitter that tapes to the IR receiver port (the window that receives the IR signal to effect channel changes).

Go to IRBLASTER,INFO. On the left is a list of items - choose the menu item for TiVo and you'll see the device. The standard works just fine; just be sure not to mount it with the adhesive tape covering the port or else the IR light won't reach the receiver.

It totally solved the problem and looks a whole lot better than the 2 protruding "sticks" which messes up the esthetics of the DirecTV box. And it's 1/4 the cost of the USB device Paterson offers - a good product, I'm sure, but why spend another $30 when less than $10 does the trick?

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Just to chime in, I installed the USB Paterson device yesterday on my Dad's Tivo (he has a H20-600).

Channel changing is instantaneous, unlike RF (which, while works, is problematic to setup as this thread indicates). I really wasn't expecting the instant channel changing! I had gotten so used to seeing the the 3 digits appear 1 second at a time.

Was it worth $50? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure does work well. :up::up::up: