IR blocked, what to do

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by shredhead, Aug 17, 2007.

1. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Oct 14, 2003
    I just got a new TV and there wasn't any space to put my HDVR2 in line of sight from where you sit. [I have a built in TV shelf above the fireplace, flanked by some bookcases.] So aiming the remote at the DTivo unit is not always successful. I bought an IR emitter cable similar to this one pictured [​IMG]and plugged it into the IR control out located on the back of the unit. It does not seem to be doing anything. I did a reset and also tried this cable on a SIR-S4040R. Either the port is disabled or this is the wrong kind of cable.

What am I doing wrong?

Elsewhere on this forum and on the net, when IR blasters are mentioned they talk about using a remote to control multiple devices and/or items in another room. I consider this a pretty low tech scenario, so those boxes for $35 and up are not what I had in mind. I could move the Dtivo if that is the only answer, but that would mean fishing coax and a bunch of AV cables through a little hole in the drywall. It would be time consuming and frustrating, also I have no doubt the hole would have to be made larger.

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    That because it isn't input jack, its output jack, that isn't active.

3. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    This is what you need.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ender&kw=remote+ir+extender&parentPage=search

I hope that link works Radioshacks website can be hard to link to sometimes. They have a remote IR repeater there that works well for 20$. i have one and it works great as long as I keep the base that receives the initial ir from the remote close.

This might help if the link doesn't work.

Model: 15-2550
    Catalog #: 15-2550

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    The wireless IR extender linked above is not 100% accurate. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 button presses to work. Also, other wireless devices in your home can interfer with it. The best option is a hardwired solution.

-Robert

5. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
  6. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    ^^^^^^^^
    I use the 12 output version of the Hot Link Pro and it's been flawless.

7. shredhead

shredhead Guest

Oct 14, 2003
    I decided to move the unit. It was a pain but now I don't need to worry about IR blasters. That cable pictured above will be on eBay shortly...