IR Blaster????

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by erinslone, Jan 2, 2006.

1. erinslone

erinslone New Member

Dec 30, 2005

Advertisements

We got a Phillips Tivo on ebay and I thought that they would be sending everything with it to run it, of course they didn't.. so we are just trying to make do with what we already have. My problem is that our satellite receiver doesn't have a serial port so we are assuming that we need the IR blaster and I already ordered it online. But is that really all we need to watch live tv? I can get the tivo to come on to the tv but I can't get it to change channels. It keeps coming up with an error message and a list of thing to try. :confused:

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    It sounds like once you get the blaster and get it installed then rerun guided setup you should be ok.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Until you receive the IR emitter that is used by the TiVo to control the Sat receiver you can manually change the channel on the sat receiver with its remote. Obviously without the IR emitter, the TiVo can't change the channel on the sat box.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The Philips TiVos have an IR emitter on the front panel. so you might be able to arrange something to "bounce" the IR from the TiVo to the sat receiver. In some rooms, it works without doing anything special.

5. erinslone

erinslone New Member

Dec 30, 2005

Advertisements

Ok so i now have my blaster and I pougged it in like i think that i am suppose to but of course it still isn't working. any suggestions?

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Have you tried all codes and speeds?

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    First, make sure you plugged it in to the "IR OUT" and not "SERIAL OUT" jack. Second, look at the blaster through the electronic viewfinder of a digital camera or camcorder while you have the TiVo try to change the channel. You should see it flash. Third, make sure you have properly gone through the channel changing setup.