iPod can now be a portable DVR!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nathanbeer, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 30
    nathanbeer

nathanbeer New Member

Jun 6, 2003
    iSee 360

Very nice...now instead of ditching my old 40GB iPod photo, i can get video out of my iPod PLUS use the iPod as a DVR (of course it only looks like manual recordings) and much more robust features than what come in the new 5G video iPods.

* Play video with sound, using the iPod's headphones or external speakers.
    * Record TV shows directly from your TV for playback.
    * Record compressed video to your iPod for playback.
    * Playback movies on your TV.
    * Download and play movies, music videos, photos and music from your PC and the web.
    * Zoom in and pan your photos, create and play slide shows.

TiVo killer??? No chance... but a great add-on for old iPods.

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 30
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    What's the price on this thing? I'd probably just spring for an Archos AV500 (known brand, nice specs) for similar features and sell the old iPod on ebay.

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 30
    nathanbeer

nathanbeer New Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Looks like it will retail for $249...
    Yes the AV500 is a nice all in one setup but for people like me who like or have a lot of time invested in importing hundreds of CD's into iTunes and iPod accessories, this is a nice way to "open" some nice features on your existing iPod.

If starting from scratch, this is a stupid way to go...but there are like 20 mil. iPod users that can now get color screen, pictures, video and DVR out of their old trusty iPod.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 30
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Hm... that is kind of cheap - especially since all they leave out is the hard drive. Interesting! Some hands on reviews would be cool - how's the battery life (of both?), what kind of frame rates we talking, UI? Codec support seems decent.

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 30
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    interesting. I'll have to check it out next week.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 30
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    The iPod is reduced in this scheme to nothing more than a hard drive. This unit provides a new UI (with unknown software quality), the expense of a new LCD & new circuitry. This is only $50 cheaper than a video iPod. Why not do as Dave suggested- sell off the iPod, and buy an Archos, or Buy a video iPod and use TivoToGo to get your Video.

Why the latter? If this is a vcr type interface like the Archos (record date and time- no guide, no passes), surprise surprise, users are going to suffer from the same error prone process of programming a vcr.

Admittedly, I never had that much trouble with VCR programming. But what about the other 95% of the population?

In real life is would it really be more convenient than a Tivo-iPod combo? What you have with the current TivoToGo setup with Creative Zen and other MCE compatible players is you click to transfer the video from the Tivo and that is it. TTG does the transfer, and with your Portable player set to autoSync, then the video is sucked over to the portable as soon as it appears on the PC. So it is really needs to be no more difficult than a single key click operation. There is no reason to assume that the iPod transfer will be any less simple. The Tivo Transfer route takes more time on the clock, but less actual user time to muck with. The transfer happens over night so does that make the error prone VCR direct method better? I'd have to use them for a few weeks but I am skeptical the dumb vcr way is better for joe average user.

The best solution would be to stick the Tivo UI on a portable. Maybe Samsung will finally realize this is the leg up that their Yepp line needs.

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 30
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    That's a good point... I was thinking $249 would be a bargain compared to the Archos (~$450). But compared to a video-capable iPod ($299) it doesn't look so appealing - especially when you consider the extra girth of an older generation iPod, plus additional heft of this add-on. I'm going back to the idea that it's safer with known software and UI in one integrated device.

I'm still interested in seeing some hands-on reviews though - this retrofitting appeals to the hacker in me. :)

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 30
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Hey it appeals to me too. At one point I was thinking of buying a Dodge Ram that had a PTO option on it's transmission. That way, I could rig up a brush hog off the back and mow all the saplings down on the north 40. A man never knows when he will need to bolt on some farm implements to his rig....

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 30
    TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I just downloaded the manual for this. Unless I'm missing something, you can ONLY record what's currently playing. There's no provision for even VCR-type recording (let alone Season Passes). It has no ability to change channels or tune; it just takes an input source and lets you hit the record button to save video. But for people like me who have older iPods (non-video-iPod), this is an interesting way to get video playback. This might work well with TiVoToGo. Anyone who tries it, let us know how well it works.

10. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    I guess that rules out bolting on Brush Hogs too.

Really surprizing they didn't bother to stick a timer in there, with a few lines of software to set it. You have a pointer to the manual? Half the site is broken- (page not found on clicking support tab [not a good sign], no search page and so on).

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What makes this really interesting to me is the fact that it plays MPEG-2 video. With that feature you can do a quick decryption of your .tivo files (Google it, you'll find out how) and load them directly onto the player. No need to go through the conversion to MPEG-4 required for PSPs or video iPods.

Dan

12. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    You will still have to do a conversion to scale the image, since this unit's requires video stored at 640x480 pixels, according to page 46 of the user manual (see Stephen's link to manual following this note).

Actually, Mpeg2 support is common. Creative Zen does. Yepp Media player supports mpeg2, and so does the iRiver

13. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I clicked on Support then Manuals to find this page:

http://www.atotechsupport.com/?cid=14&lid=1&id=4

The link in the center lets you download a PDF manual. The manual itself is well-written, but I agree that the site seems to have a lot of problems.

14. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok. You got further than I could go. When I clicked on support, I got a host not found error. It seems to be back up now. Thanks.

It is shocking, but from what this manual says, you are absolutely right. Not even a vcr like funtion where you can set a time to record.

15. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Ironically, this simple feature is actually not possible on a Tivo; i.e., I cannot hook up a video source to the Tivo's line in and just tell it to start recording it. :eek:

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Mine can.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

yes TiVo DVRs with DVD recorders can do this as Dave alluded to. I think regular TiVos can do this as well though I have not tried it myself.

MY take is the same as others. This would be a way to make an old iPod perform like a new iPod video but since the recording part is a brain dead real time only then either just get an iPod video and skip the recording or else get an archos if a portable with recording is what you want. I imagine you can get TiVo video to any of the 3 solutions though the video iPod will have the offiical TiVo support early next year.

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I think TiVo needs to put that iPod/PSP conversion and sync software on the fast track... DirecTV 2Go two players (Humax PMP, RCA Lyra) have been announced. I suspect we'll get more announcements in the next day or so.

As far as using a portable as a recorder, I have minimal use for that sort of feature. Unless the device sort of docks into a full-fledged DVR mother ship and I just yank it out before I leave the house.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

they have fast tracked this. TiVo realized that talking with Apple was fruitless and just decided to do it themsleves and have committed to first quarter of 2006 for the software to be out. I suspect they had an upgrade of desktop in the works already with its own codec and could easily add this on. I suspect that is why TiVo has let the open source converters like harmony and eTiVo go about their business with no fuss. TiVo most likely got some great ideas from them ;)

and as others know I think portable video is a GREAT thing, but battery life needs to be addressed. I want a minimum of 4 hours play time with a short charge time say 1 hour tops) in between. I get that with my smartphone and its SD flash memory card. Anyone know of any 20 gig hard drive players that can do this, because I would like to find one to use.

20. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The 30GB video-capable iPod is rated at 2 hours, though in my unscientific testing it was less than this (granted I was ff/rw-ing back and forth and probably had the brightness way up). The 60GB is rated at 4HRs, though it's bulkier than the 30 - presumably for the larger battery. I'm not sure what the Zen Vision, Archos AV500, etc are rated at but if I'm going down that path I want a larger screen like that (which requires more juice). I can't remember how long my Axim was good for... hmmm. Then again my subway commuting days seem to be over, so maybe I should just watch TV, you know, AT the TV. ;)