iPhone App for the TiVo S3/HD poll..

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Feb 3, 2010.

Do you want a TiVo scheduling app for your iPhone.

1. Yes, I want an iPhone app. (Assume the app will be free)

182 vote(s)
    80.9%
  2. No, I have no desire for an iPhone app.

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Doesn't matter to me. I DON'T OWN an iPhone.

33 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Feb 3, 2010 #1 of 43
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Just interested in knowing how many people would love to have a dedicated iPhone app for their TiVo's to schedule recordings quickly and easily using their iPhones.

For me.. using the iPhone and the internet web page to schedule programs is a royal PIA. The iPhone needs a dedicated app just like DirecTV.

This question doesn't apply to those who don't have an iPhone...

The reason for a simply Yes, Or No.. is either you want the app, or you don't. The other option is for those who don't have an iPhone. Assume the app will be FREE.

If you have "Exception" Rules to having an iPhone app. Then vote YES as though those exception that you desire exist.

Thanks

TGC

2. Feb 3, 2010 #2 of 43
    debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Question: Are you just going to www.tivo.com to log in and schedule your recordings?

I use m.tivo.com on my iPhone and it works well for me. There are no graphics, and you can set which DVR (if you have multiple Tivos) to use as your default for recordings scheduled via the site.

I don't disagree that a dedicated Tivo app wouldn't be great, but I'm not sure they're going to develop one.

deb

3. Feb 3, 2010 #3 of 43
    TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Yep... Hate it too...

They might.... or some-one else might. Being that DirecTV has had over 1 MILLION downloads of IT's iPhone app to control and schedule shows on their DirecTV DVR's TiVO might step up to the box and do the same thing.

OR.... like I said some one else might as well. All of the CURRENT TiVo remote control apps were developes by someone else as well. Maybe they can do something. Who knows.

Have to start somewhere. Right?

TGC

4. Feb 3, 2010 #4 of 43
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Hm. This doesn't already exist? I have a Blackberry and there is a Tivo scheduler app for that -- I guess I just assumed we got it second, like we always do...

If I owned an iPhone, I would be lobbying for this. The BB scheduler app is very useful.

EDIT: yes, it is an official Tivo app, and yes, it is free.

5. Feb 3, 2010 #5 of 43
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

I think they outsourced the TiVo mobile site so they wouldn't have to create a mobile app for every phone out there.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #6 of 43
    brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    It would be nice, but I can do what I need from the Tivo mobile site.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #7 of 43
    FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    While something official from TiVo would be nice, i.TV works for us. :)

8. Feb 3, 2010 #8 of 43
    snagitseven

snagitseven New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Agree. It fits the iPhone just fine.

9. Feb 3, 2010 #9 of 43
    gnordy

gnordy New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    The current m.tivo.com works for me, but it would be nice to see scheduled recordings.

10. abobrow

abobrow New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I use i.TV as well. It's clunky, but it gives me Netflix and Tivo all in one app. Plus movie and tv listings.

11. SJPstl

SJPstl New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Wow! I'm with Revolutionary. I thought this already existed. I, too, have the Blackberry app. This might be the first time in history there was a Blackberry app before an iPhone app!

12. SiPaolo

SiPaolo New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I've been using DVR Remote as a supplementary TIVO remote for months. It integrates the mobile tivo site which is a bit cludgy, but otherwise is pretty sweet. I'm unaffiliated, but have been impressed. There's a blurb here. It's better than it was when I bought it. Works great with my series 3.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I use i.TV for this as well.

14. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I hate haveing to use the stupid browser in the iPhone. Suffice it to say. I can't stand any of the "web page" based support. Text is to small and hard for me to read. Yes I can two finger zoom. But thats really a PIA.

An iPhone app would be a much better interface and would compete better with DirecTV's units.

TGC

P.S. remember one of the main benefits, reasons alot of people get an iPhone is for the APPS. 90% of all the apps available for the iPhone could be done via HTML5 and the use of Safari. However, the benifit of having an APP is you get an ICON as well as other added simplicities. Good Apps, will almost always be better then their HTML5 equivlant.

15. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You can very easily put an icon for the TiVo mobile webpage on your iPhone. You can do that for any webpage.

16. Doh

Doh Well-Known Member

May 18, 2001
    I find the m.tivo site to be awful to navigate and the search function frequently fails to return results even when I match the title exactly. First they need to get the search engine improved and then I would love an iphone app.

17. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Well as of 1:52pm CST on Feb 4th, 2010.

The following appears to be the trend...

77% want an iPhone app, only 2% of those who have an iPhone don't, & of course 20% of users of TiVo's don't have an iPhone. Of course that leaves about a 3% error rate. As well as those who don't make use of this forum, &/or didn't answer this poll.

However... I have found that these polls can SOMETIMES be fairly accurate with regards to some issues.

We will see as more people are polled.

I still want an iPhone app...

TGC

18. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Well of course you can.... But how can you change the icon to that of a nice little "TiVo guy?". I could be wrong, but I think all the "icons" for wep page links you create on the iPhone are the same aren't they?

TGC

19. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I wasn't sure, it's been so long since I added a web page link to my homescreen but I tested it out. Yep, there's the Tivo Guy:

[​IMG]

20. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It looks like your iPhone is jailbroken. I'm not sure if you can change the icon for a web clip on the springboard of a "regular" iPhone. I know I can do it with the iPhone Configuration Utility I use for the corporate devices I manage, but not sure how else to do it.