ipad vs ipad2 and tivo app

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by smbaker, Mar 24, 2011.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to buy one of these ipad gizmos and I'm thinking of going with the ipad 2. Had a couple of questions concerning the Tivo app for the Premiere:

1) I know the Tivo app works with the Ipad 1. Does it also work with the Ipad 2? I'd assume so, but always best to double-check.

2) Can anyone with both an Ipad 1 and an Ipad 2 confirm that the Tivo app runs any better on the latter than the former? I don't know enough about the app to know if it's CPU bound on the device it's running on, or network bound waiting for the Premiere to talk to it.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I have had an iPad since shortly after its introduction, so I wasn't in the market when the iPad 2 was rolled out. I do know, though, that Apple represents the iPad 2 to be backward compatible with the iPad. They have the same operating system, iOS 4, so there is no reason that the TiVo app for the iPad shouldn't run just as well on the iPad 2 as it does on the original model.

3. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I have both. The TiVo app performance seems to be exactly the same.

4. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Well I went ahead and ordered the ipad2. I can't even explain why, or convincingly articulate to someone what I intend to do with it other than use it as a fancy $750 Tivo remote. For the cost I expect that it better be a very very awesome remote! :)

Now I just have to wait the 3+ week leadtime...

5. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006

Advertisements

This is why Apple is pretty much printing money at this point! The App, actually, is pretty awesome- managing the season passes, to do list, etc is such a breeze. As for the Ipad itself, it is good to have on the road when you travel and when you want to do some surfing while relaxing, but otherwise I usually just use my laptop.

6. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I agree that the TiVo app for iPad is very nice. The iPad is also very good for other types of content consumption, particularly movies, which look remarkably good on its display. Just don't expect it to be a replacement for a real computer. It's not a real computer. Although data input is possible on the iPad's virtual keyboard and typing on it is easier than it is on an iPhone, the iPad's virtual keyboard still is not the same as a real keyboard. As long as you recognize the iPad's limitations, I think you will enjoy it.

I have had my iPad for almost a year and have appreciated its strengths but recognized its weaknesses. For example, ever since my kids and their families gave me an iPhone and I bought a new Macbook Air my iPad hasn't been used much because the iPad is sort of a compromise between the two and I usually prefer to use either the iPhone or Macbook Air, depending on the task at hand.

I apologize for telling many of you more than you really needed to know but this was one of those times when my inner Apple nerd took over.:)

7. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Member

Mar 12, 2007
    NYC
    I have both an iPad 1 and iPad 2. The iPad 2 has a dual core processor and runs all apps faster. Faster launch time and so on.

8. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Does it refresh the screen faster too? I hate the way that my iPad has to catch up with me when I'm scrolling down a page.

9. christlab

christlab New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    California
    i have the tivo app on ipad2 with premiere and its amazing!!! blows my mind away!! but for it disconects with the tivo at times but i think its because of my router

10. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Nope, that part is still slow.

Joe

11. argusx

argusx New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The TiVo app works fine on both the first generation iPad and the iPad 2. The app was available before the release of the iPad 2. I haven't noticed any real difference with the app between either generation of hardware.

12. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    As a media consumption and casual browsing device, the iPad is unparalleled. Better screen than a netbook, integrated audio/video functionality and lots of great, free apps. It is NOT a replacement for a desktop PC, but a they overlap in function, depending on what you're doing.

Example: I rarely go to the laptop when I'm at home for searches on wikipedia or IMDB. With wikipanion or the IMDB app on the phone, I don't leave the couch when questions come up. The same with google searches. At the gym, I don't watch the overhead TVs...I watch downloaded movies through VLC, digital copies and video podcasts on the iPad, which rests in the magazine slot above the stair-climber display. Sometimes I watch Netflix. At home, I can stream video directly from my computer uPnP servers.

The optional 3G of my model comes in handy from time to time, which I only use rarely. It's nice to be able to purchase a month at a time. I use Good Reader for PDF reading, sometimes read comics on it and can even remotely access office PCs using RDP (though it's a poor substitute for a laptop, it comes in handy, sometimes). Not to mention specialty apps like TiVo, Flipboard, Synology apps and so on.

There are about a scazillion good games on the iPad, particularly my favorites: adaption of Euro Board games like Catan, Caracassone and Medici or classics like Boggle or Scrabble (which the family loves) and great arcade games like Infinity Blade. I eagerly await the release of the Minecraft client for the iPad.

In short, the iPad is great for content consumption and entertainment.

13. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    How does this work -- did you still need to get a SIM card (or microSIM) to use a pay-as-you-go 3G?

I ordered the 3G model because it seemed silly not to spend the extra $130 when I'm already spending so much extra for the device, plus there's the GPS capability. No plans on using the 3G, but it might be nice to take on non-business trips in place of a conventional laptop.

14. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA

AFAIK, the SIM card is built-in to the device (it is on the original, assume the same on the iPad2). If you buy a 3G model, you've got access. You merely need to go into Settings, go under the Cellular Data option and then sign up. You purchase access in monthly increments at one of two data levels. NOTE: you must manually cancel the service or it will roll-over. When I need it, I sign up and then immediately cancel. Service continues for 30 days...NOT ONE MONTH. In a month with 31 days, you'll find out the hard way, as I did.

15. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    The SIM card isn't "built-in" per se, it's pre-installed on the AT&T models. The Verizon models don't have SIM cards and CDMA/EVDO doesn't use them. On the AT&T models, you can remove the SIM card, but you shouldn't need to.

Joe

16. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Nice. I'm glad I ordered an AT&T model. :)

17. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Member

Mar 12, 2007
    NYC
    I purchased my iPad 1 when AT&T offered unlimited data so I have it auto billing so I keep my unlimited data account. When I got the iPad 2 I just swapped SIM cards to keep the unlimited data in the iPad 2.

If you want an unlimited data iPad 2 there are people selling their accounts on craigslist and ebay. Basically you buy the activated unlimited SIM card from them, pop it in your iPad, then update the account billing information with your billing info. At the bill date it bills to you instead.

18. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Out of curiosity, how much data to you end up using in an average month?

19. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Member

Mar 12, 2007
    NYC
    I use a lot. My iPad 1 was jail broken and I used it to tether to my MacBook Pro. I like having unlimited data on both my iPhone and iPad. I never want to have to watch how much data I use.

20. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I take it there's no built in non-jailbroken connection sharing for the ipad? I understand iPhone 4s can act as mobile hotspots, but for some reason, iPads cannot.

After a dismal misadventure with a Virgin Mobile Mifi, I'm looking for a decent connection sharing solution to get internet on my laptop and other devices.