iPad app thinks my Premieres aren't Premieres anymore

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by smbaker, Sep 27, 2011.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Today I go to use the iPad app (one of the few things with the Premiere that actually worked right for a while) and it's bugged.

1) It asks me to log into Tivo.com; I don't recall it doing this before, so I suspect it's falling back to non-Premiere mode.

2) All of the icons at the bottom other than "guide" and "browse" are disabled.

3) The season pass manager and To Do List say "This functionality is available only for Tivo Premiere DVRs"

4) Every so often the app crashes and needs to restart

Anyone know what's wrong with it? Unfortunately, it was one of the few bright points about an otherwise dim Premiere.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are you running the latest version?

Did you try to reboot both devices?

3. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Silly me, I expect my electronics to work without needing reboot...

The iPad was freshly started; I'll try to reboot one of the Tivo Premieres to see if it makes a difference.

4. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    MY GOD! ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY REBOOTED CLEANLY!

(sorry for the yelling, but I'm very excited)

(now I only have one "premium DVR" to try to baby through the reboot process)

And no, the iPad app still thinks the Premieres aren't Premieres.

5. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    For what it's worth, this morning the iPad app and the Premieres were friends again, albeit requiring the media access keys (which have not changed) to be typed in again.

The living room Premiere only needed three reboots last night to get it past the "a few minutes more" screen (I'm stubborn and insist on leaving the Tivo Bluetooth Dongle plugged into the Tivo. silly me, expecting Tivo's DVR to work with Tivo's remote).

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Have you restored your iPad during a sync recently? Just curious to see if we can determine some kind of reasoning behind this.

I had this issue with the first iPad version but since the first upgrade it has not happened to me.

7. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    No, I haven't restored the iPad lately. I don't think I upgraded the app recently either. It had been a while (maybe a month) since the last time I used it though.

8. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    This happened to me yesterday. It was working fine on my iPad and the app crashed. Aver bringing up the app again, It didn't recognize my Premiere as a Premiere. Restarting my iPad and reentering the media key resolved it. (I think my Premiere rebooted itself. :))

9. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Hi guys...did anyone ever figure this out? My new (replacement) Premiere is having the same problem. Interestingly, I was never asked for my MAK, just my TiVo.com log in.

Also, not sure if this is relevant or not, but after scheduling shows online, they appeared on my box, but don't show up online.

10. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The same thing happened to me again on my Premieres this week.

At this point, I just consider my Premiere to be a buggy piece of crap with no hope of ever receiving a software update, so I've given up hope that the features it's supposed to have are ever going to work right.

I don't even bother with the iPad remote anymore. Maybe rebooting the Premieres would fix the issue; I really don't know or care at this point.

11. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sorry you're having problems. I have 4 Premiere's, all configured uniquely. One has no card, one has the slide remote, one is an XL with external 1TB HD, and one is a Premiere with 500 GB external HD. Both my iPad and iPod Touch see them as Premieres, and see my S3 and THD as non-Premieres. All the Premieres are wired ethernet, while the THD is on the TiVo wireless G adapter.

These are scattered around the house on a gigabit LAN using a Cisco E3000 router. They all use DHCP, have network remote enabled, etc.

If there's something you'd like to compare concerning setup, let me know.

12. Tivogre

Tivogre Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I've had similar issues, and rebooting the ROUTER - not the TiVo fixes the issue for me.

13. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Do you have a Netgear router, perhaps a WNDR3700 or similar? If so it is 100% the router. I had a ton of issues with the iPad app after updating the firmware on my router (to 1.16.98). Version 1.07.98 is the last one that works for me, all versions after that do no correctly route multicast/broadcast on the LAN, which totally screws up Bonjour(which the TiVo uses for identification).

I have emailed Netgear, but they don't seem to care about the problem.

14. Tivogre

Tivogre Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    No. My routers are Cisco.

15. Eamus Catuli

Eamus Catuli Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Toronto ON...
    Same thing happened to me this week on my iPod Touch 2nd generation. Tried a bunch of things but what finally worked was deleting the app from the iPod Touch, then resynching. It asked me to enter the MAK again and now it's working again. :up: