iPad App Not connecting

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JoeTaxpayer, Jun 11, 2011.

1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Got the Premiere.
    One of the features prompting this impulse buy was the iPad app.
    I loaded the but get a message "intended for use with Premiere only." Yet, it sees the box' name (cleverly named "premiere" as I don't know what room it will go to).
    The Premiere sees the other TiVos in the house. The other TiVos see the Premiere.
    I restarted the Premiere, restarted the routers, etc. Anyone have any other ideas?
    It's not that the App doesn't "see" it, it just can't tell it's a series 4?

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Restart your box and your iPad. That seems to fix it for most people.

3. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I did the hard reboot of iPad (hold buttons to slide power off, right?), unplugged TiVo, replugged, then rebooted network.

Still - the iPad sees the new TiVo, but claims there's no Premieres on the network. In other words, it's listed, but the app doesn't access it. Anything else left to try?

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Restart your router?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Be sure to login to your Tivo.com account and go to DVR Preferences and check the boxes on 'Transfers' and 'Downloads', then have all your Tivos connect to the Tivo Service, wait a few hrs.

6. HoustonMidtown

HoustonMidtown New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Houston
    What is your TiVO's software version?

7. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Last night it updated to 14.8.
    iPad is good now. TiVo transfer good on one Mac, but not the other. But premiere sees the other TiVos and the Macs, so no big deal.
    I'll quit while I'm ahead.

I was planning to use the premiere as a viewer, not recorder. Its transfer rate really is great, I'm seeing about 3X the speed as Series 3 boxes.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are you referring to Tivo desktop? If so, save yourself the headache and just install PyTivo.

9. dtplink

dtplink New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Emeryville,...
    Software version 14.8 does help but the iPad app seems buggy. Flaky connections, freezes while trying to connect, etc. Sometimes I get weary beta testing software. I just installed a new Premier and heaven forbid I should try to rename the DVR and then try to connect. The iPad app could not see the DVR until I went back to the old name online, deleted the iPad app and then did a hard reboot. Now I'm back to a working app with the old default name and continuing flaky wireless connections.

10. RVH

RVH New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    I've had similar problems with the iPad and just gave up after trying all of the above fixes. It's especially bothersome because I have FIOS at my other house and the iPad app works brilliantly and allows me to control everything over the internet, not just when I'm on the local network. The UI is gorgeous too.

Tivo can learn a few things from Verizon FIOS (I'm sorry to say).

Bob

11. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes, the TiVo transfer that's part of Roxio Toast 10 package. I forget the difference between this and TiVo Desktop. TiVo transfer was working the past couple years, so if not broke I wasn't worried about it.

12. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Can you elaborate on the transfer feature of the Roxio Toast 10 package?? How is that different than Tivo Desktop?? I use the TD quite a bit and am curious what Toast does that is better than TD??...