.ios for series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by mhoppe.spink, Jun 15, 2011.

1. mhoppe.spink

mhoppe.spink New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    My neighbor gave me a series 1 tivo with lifetime subscription for free. When i plugged it in it said "starting up, one moment please". It did nothing else, the the harddrive made a faint click. I know that means bad drive. However, the lifetime subsciption is now stoped on the frive, it is somewhere else on the motherboard. My question is:

Does anyone have a .ios tivoOS for a series 1 that they could upload, or know about a link where i can get one? The model is a Sony SVR-2000. I know there are services like weaknees.com and Instantcake, but i dont want to spend money if i dont have too. I already have a spare Hard drive that i can play with. If any one could help, that would be great! I appreciate the help!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Check the upgrade forum. There is an image begging thread there. Images usally come in a format called mfs, which you apply to a hard drive uning MFS tools (a free Linux CD), or WinMFS (also free)

The Product Lifetime status is held on TiVo's servers, and is tied to the TSN, which is stored on the crypto chip on the TiVo system board.

3. mhoppe.spink

mhoppe.spink New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Okay, i got a file for my model, but it is a .BAK file. How do i put this on a new drive, and what are the steps?

4. jaquer

jaquer New Member

May 25, 2011
  5. mhoppe.spink

mhoppe.spink New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Thanks, but I figured it out. It was a backup file made with mfstools, but my computer has a Sata c: drive, which confused me with my commands. I did some research, and found someone who burned it to a cd and gave the commands. I tried that, and lo and behold, I have a free, lifetime TiVo series one. My only problem is the it takes to long to change fios channels because it has to change the TiVo channel AND the set top box, but it works for me. I wouldn't pay a monthy servise for it, but sence it was given to me, I'll take it. I still have a fios dvr too. Also, it there a way to get rid of dead hdd space? In best quality I ony get ~9 hrs and 32 on basic quality. I put a pretty big hdd in there, like 120gb, but it seams like it sould beable to record more, unless TiVo tells everyone those are the hrs wether you replace the hdd or not. Also is there any way to tell how much recording time is left? Thanks

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Apparently you "restored" but didn't "expand".

Go here

http://www.mfslive.org/fullguide.htm

and read

and read

and read