iOS app won't connect to Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by IraF, Nov 1, 2019.

1. IraF

IraF Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Update: Never mind :) I got it to work.

Well, not "it" exactly, but a brand-new download and install of it. Required complete delete of TiVo app and full reinstall. Was not sufficient to offload the app while retaining the data (which would have included previously downloaded shows); I needed to delete the app and all of its data, which would include any app settings, so when I installed the app again it set up the streaming device from scratch. So, while the shows may have been okay, the internal settings of the app had evidently gotten corrupted.

Oh well - thanks for reading!

Original post:

This is a brand new problem. I probably downloaded a bunch of shows just a few days ago.

Now, my iPad app just shows the TiVo logo and a blue progress bar on top that keeps moving left to right across the top.

I can get into into the "Try Again" or "Shows on iPad" screen if I turn off Wi-Fi on the iPad, then kill the TiVo app, and restart it. If I then select "Shows on iPad" I can see the shows I previously downloaded; if I "Try Again" it is again unable to connect.

I've never reached the iOS app's login prompt, which otherwise happens from time to time (for no obvious reason). I guess it has to connect to the TiVo before it will even prompt for the login.

I've restarted the iPad, and restarted the TiVo. (Including full power off.)

The TiVo is connected to my router.

I don't think I've installed an update to the TiVo app in a long time; and I haven't installed the very latest iOS update. But I don't know if the Bolt has downloaded new software that is causing an incompatibility. My TiVo software version is 20.7.4.RC42-USC-11-849.

For what it's worth, I have never upgraded the Bolt to the newer TiVo UI, but am still on the old one.

Is anyone seeing anything like this? Or have any ideas about further things I might try? One thing I haven't tried is to delete the TiVo app and download a fresh copy from the App Store.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    HerronScott likes this.
  2. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    This happens to me approximately once a month. On rare occasions offloading the TiVo app works, but most of the time like you I must delete the app and lose all data.

Has anyone been able to predict what precedes this? I can’t tell if it’s switching networks, downloading too many shows, leaving the app open too long, something else?

Gary
    Kansas City
    Spectrum
    2 Bolts, Roamio and Premiere
    Still TE3

IraF likes this.
  3. IraF

IraF Member

Jan 22, 2002
    I had more shows downloaded than the usual number I have, and in the most recent download session had brought over more than I usually do at once. So - that doesn't narrow things between those two possibilities.

4. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    I've had the same issue with my ios App on my iphone with my Roamio. I am trying to finish viewing my shows already downloaded (HBO copy protected, deleted from Roamio), and then I intend to delete and reinstall the app.

Did your issues coincide with Apple ios 13, perhaps?

5. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    My issues have been going on for about a year.

6. IraF

IraF Member

Jan 22, 2002
    The first and only time this happened to me, I was running iPadOS 13.1.3.

7. Nealf

Nealf New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I have had problems with streaming from my Roamio for a year now. Mostly cannot stream. A problem in both IOS 12 and 13.

The TIvo IOS app is clearly connecting to my Tivo because it loads the list of the shows on the tivo and updates the list. I also have full control of the Tivo from the app on my ipad, for example, can change season passes, etc. Usually cannot stream in house or out.