IOS app problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BiloxiGeek, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Dec 2, 2018 #1 of 11
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    Anyone else seeing this? The app on my iPad won't connect. If you look at the screenshot I'm attaching you'll see that the error indicates the app thinks I'm in airplane mode, but the iPad status icons at the top clearly show I'm connected to Wi-Fi. I've tried asking TiVo tech support about this, but haven't heard anything grin from then since November 6th. Behavior on my iPhone is identical.

9FEA1511-D44F-469D-9E3B-35B22393F006.png

2. Dec 2, 2018 #2 of 11
    Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Only thing I can think of is to make sure both tv and iPad are on the same WiFi network.

3. Dec 2, 2018 #3 of 11
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Did you try uninstalling / reinstalling the app?

4. Dec 2, 2018 #4 of 11
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    Everything is on the same network. TiVo on wired ethernet, iPad and iPhone on WiFi. I’ve tried reinstalling the app and all the other steps that tech support wants you to go through. Restart cable modem, restart router, I even restarted my firewall. I do Linux sysadmin work for a living so the basic stuff is always tried long before I call tech support.

I just got a phone call from tech support, I suspect a script monkey in India, but he asked all the same questions that were asked back on November 6th when I originally called tech support. I suspect the latest version of the app is misidentifying the network state and gets confused. Why else would it tell me I’m in airplane mode when I’m definitely not.

5. Dec 2, 2018 #5 of 11
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    Just on a whim I tried using safari on the iPad to connect to the https page on the tivo and I can login using tivo as username and my MAK as the password. So basic network connectivity between iPad and the TiVo works just fine.

6. Jan 6, 2019 #6 of 11
    gsutkin

gsutkin New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    TiVo problem logging in screenshot.jpg
    Beginning Friday, my iPad TiVo app is stuck on the login screen (thumbnail above) and won't connect. It just freezes (with the blue bar at the top endlessly running) Any thoughts?

It is an iPad Pro, updated to iOs 12.1.1. I am connecting to my router over wifi, which is not having any problems. All 4 TiVos seem to be working. I have tried connecting to another band on my router. When I turn off wifi on the iPad, I am able to view my Shows in Ipad, but still can't connect.

I have updated iOs. I have rebooted the iPad. I do not want to uninstall the app, as I have about 60 shows that will be deleted (they were deleted on the TiVo before transferring to the Ipad, so I can't get them back)

My two other iOs devices (a Xs phone and an old iPad) will still connect.

Thanks for any help!
    Gary, Kansas City

7. Jan 7, 2019 #7 of 11
    gsutkin

gsutkin New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I just called TiVo and they say this is a known issue that randomly affects IPads, IPhones, and Android devices alike. She said the software engineers are working on an update.

If any one else has experienced this, please share!

8. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I've seen this when travelling on airplane. What has worked for me is to turn off WiFi completely, fall back to your cellular carrier. Turn off cellular carrier, completely disconnect. Start the TiVo app and it should prompt your for offline access to watch any videos you've already downloaded. Then reverse the process, enable cellular, try again, enable wifi, try again.

wiz likes this.
  9. gsutkin

gsutkin New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Assuming I did this right, this didn’t work for me. My iPad doesn’t have cellular, so I turned off WiFi. Launched the app, took the “shows on ipad” option. Turned WiFi back on. Then tried two things: 1) hit the connect button. 2) repeating the process, but dismissing and restarting the app. It still won’t connect

Thanks for any other advice anyone has!

10. jtashiro

jtashiro New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Let's break that down. When you disabled WiFi and were prompted to view 'shows on ipad', did the app start up, and allow you to actually see the shows on the ipad? Were you able to play any shows to confirm that the app worked on that path? If not, re-confirm. At a minimum, go to the Settings screen and confirm you are running v 4.2 of the TiVo app. If yes, then it points to a specific problem with WiFi/network access. I would try to connect to an alternative wifi hotspot? if you have iphone, enable personal hotspot and connect your ipad to that and try the app again. that would help rule out a wifi-specific issue.

11. gsutkin

gsutkin New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Thanks, but I don’t think it’s a WiFi issue:
    1. You’re right: when I disable WiFi, I can launch the app and play recorded shows
    2. My iPhone app can connect to my boxes
    3. The iPad app can’t connect from outside networks
    4. TiVo Online website can connect from my iPad

I think it’s and iPad issue or IPad app issue.
    Interestingly, TiVo isn’t listed as an app in my settings

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Gary