iOS app on iPad hangs on launch

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jeffrypennock, Apr 24, 2019.

1. jeffrypennock

jeffrypennock Member

May 18, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

Yesterday my iPad was running the iOS TiVo app just fine. Today, it gets stuck at the launch screen and never connects to my TiVo (nor presents me the prompt to connect to my other TiVos).
    Additional pieces of information:
    • I’ve tried force quitting the app, doesn’t help
    • I’ve tried rebooting the iPad, doesn’t help
    • I’ve tried rebooting the TiVo, doesn’t help
    • If I leave the app running, it will stay on that launch screen indefinitely (it never crashes nor progresses past it)
    • If I launch the app in airplane mode, it takes me to my downloaded content just fine (so this only happens when it’s truing to connect)
    • This happens regardless of whether I’m on WiFi or cellular
    • My iPhone can run the TiVo app just fine with no problem, this is only happening on my iPad
    • I haven’t updated the version of the app or the iOS operating system since yesterday, when it was working fine.
    • I would like to avoid deleting and reinstalling the app on my iPad because I have a lot of content downloaded from my TiVo to the app that’s no longer on my TiVo. I don’t want to lose that content if I don’t have to.
    Please help. Any recommendations on what to do?

2. jeffrypennock

jeffrypennock Member

May 18, 2006
    New York
    UPDATE: I've tried the TiVo app on another iPad and it worked fine. So the problem (which persists) seems to only occurring on one of my iPads (an iPad Pro 12.9 inch second-most recent generation, if it matters). I realize like this sounds like a me-specific problem but I'm at a loss for how to troubleshoot/fix, so would be very interested in other users ideas or to know if other users also have this problem.

3. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    It happens to me on occasion too. What fixes it is I go into Settings—> General —> iPad Storage which lists your apps and the memory space they take up. Find the TiVo app and click Offload App. As soon as that is done you can click Restore App. Then when going into the TiVo app it doesn’t hang up and all data is still there. You won’t lose downloaded content doing it that way.

4. jeffrypennock

jeffrypennock Member

May 18, 2006
    New York
    That was a really good idea, which I had been contemplating. I tried it. It didn’t work, unfortunately. I tried it a couple times, in fact. After it failed, I gave up on saving my downloaded content. I deleted the app entirely (along with its data). Re-installed. That fixed it. Working fine now. But lost all my downloaded content.

5. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013

Advertisements

That’s weird. It seems like it happens to me sometimes when trying to open the TiVo App while using particular VPNs. I do the Offload App/Restore App but also in the meantime usually turn off the VPN. I think lately it still works for me when I don’t turn off the VPN but then again I recently switched from a free VPN to a paid VPN. I’ve yet to have to lose data over it.

6. jeffrypennock

jeffrypennock Member

May 18, 2006
    New York
    Yeah, there was no VPN at play in my usage situation. However, I did always have the hunch that this was about the app seeking and failing to find a network connection (even though I was definitely online and was experiencing this in multiple different wifi environments as well as with cellular data) BECAUSE when I launched the app in airplane mode with no connection at all, the app didn't hang it would simply launch correctly and take me to my downloaded content. It was when I DID have a valid connection that the hang eventually was happening 100% of the time (couldn't even get to the downloaded content). Offloading and restoring didn't help unfortunately. I hope you don't eventually end up in the situation I did.

7. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I use the iOS app also on my Ipad, and this has happened to me 3 times in the past 5 months. Each time I have deleted the app and lost all of my content, so thanks for this potential solution – I will try it next time.

Similarly, it only occurs on one Ipad (Ipad Pro 10.5 inch, Model MPGH2ll/A). It has not occurred on my other Ipad or my Iphone. I believe it has occurred when I have tried to make a connection at work.

Thanks for bringing this up – I will follow this thread to learn of others’ experiences.