ios app network streaming from a Premiere...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tvmaster2, Oct 14, 2017.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006

Advertisements

I have the two-tuner, 1st gen Premiere. Don't know if I'm out of touch, but is there some reason why I can't watch either recorded or in-progress shows from this unit on my iOS devices (iPads)? Has that feature been 86'ed by TiVo?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need a Tivo Stream.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or a Roamio Plus or Pro on the same (wired) home network -- since they both include a built-in TiVo Stream

See: It's time to start streaming

4. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    Am I using the term 'streaming' improperly here? I CAN watch shows on my iPad which are stored on the Premiere, although the buffering is a bit crummy over my speedy, home network. But if I go into Settings, the only machines that show up as 'streaming' TiVos are my Bolt & Roamio. Make sense?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Curious, is your Roamio a Plus or Pro? Or do you have a TiVo Stream?

The feature hasn't been snuffed, to the best of my knowledge. But that doesn't mean it can't break.

I'm not a mobile streaming expert, so I'll leave it to those who are. (My suggestions would start with powering everything down, TiVos and network gear, then bringing them back online and trying again. See?)

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Your first post asks why you can't watch recorded content from the Premiere on your iPad but the second post indicates you can watch them?

Scott

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, I get it now (with the add'l nudge).

You're only seeing the BOLT and (6-tuner!) Roamio as your streaming devices via the app settings because those are your TiVo devices that have the necessary built-in transcoding hardware that provides the mobile streaming functionality. The Premiere series doesn't have the built-in streaming functionality, but Premiere content can be streamed via the Roamio's built-in Stream module. (I'm not sure the BOLT software has been updated to support mobile streaming of content from other supported DVRs on the network, as the TiVo Stream can.)

So what you really have is just a "streaming quality" issue, right?

Are your DVRs all connected to your router via wired Ethernet and/or MoCA network connections, per requirements?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    Yeah, sorry, my bad. I reset the ipad in question, and then network access became usable again. However, in the 'setup' portion of the iOS app, the Premiere still doesn't show up as a device which can be setup for in home or out of home streaming.

9. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    T
    Thanks, you've cleared it up for me - for some reason I thought a first-gen Premiere could do this, but I forgot about the extra stream-box needed :)

krkaufman likes this.
  10. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    I have the premiere 1st gen also with no TiVo Stream. Now I see that the stream is discontinued. Am I out of luck? My only solution is to upgrade to a bolt/roamio?

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or possibly find a Stream on eBay? (Though the recent upgrade special would've likely been the better option.)