iOS app disconnects router

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by JoeTaxpayer, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

I am running the official TiVo app on my iPhone and iPad.

The app works fine when I am not on my home network, but when at home, if I open the app, my wireless network goes down. By this, I mean no wireless appliance remains connected, and a restart of the router is required. The router is a Linksys WRT54G if that helps.
    This means that if I want to use the features of the app while home, I need to use cell service, or just move to TiVo online, making the app far less useful.

This has been going on since I installed the App and I was hoping updates would have fixed this issue, but not so far.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Dang! That's an old router!

Do you know you can run 3rd-party firmware?

I like dd-wrt...

-KP

JoeTaxpayer likes this.
  3. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    That actually helps me. I've always been from "If it isn't broken, keep it" but if a newer router would help matters, I'd be ok with that. I suppose if the same issue occurs, I could just return it, anyway.

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Linksys WRT's were the basis of DD-WRT, so they're WELL supported.

Give it a shot before you set it aside (don't throw it away!)...

-KP

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

I'll see the "Dang" and raise you a "Yikes!"

We had to retire our WRT54G router years ago, when our provider download spec grew beyond the rate the WRT54G could support. Putting aside the wireless spec limitation.

Do you know what your ISP download/upload speeds should be, and have you verified you're getting what you're paying for, using speedtest.net or a similar utility?

6. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I don't know. I have no issue streaming video from Netflix on phone or iPad, so I never gave the router much thought, until this issue.

7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Which is how it should be!

But, there's a possibility that you're paying for more bandwidth than you need and are getting.

Try www.fast.com and see if you're getting more or less than you're account is allotted and you might be able to adjust your bill down.

-KP

8. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I appreciate the advice. I'm not paying 'extra' for my bandwidth. The speed (100Mbs) is the level given with the TV package we get. (and the test page you gave me shows 94Mbps, thanks!)
    More important, the house is wired. One of the things I've advise anyone to do when building a house from scratch, I had Cat5 (this was a long time ago) run to every phone plate in every room. So the router we're talking about isn't even near the modem, it's in my home office and pretty much feeds only the iPad and phones. All computers, TVs and TiVos are hard wired.

kpeters59 likes this.