Invincible - new Amazon animated series: premieres 3-25-2021 - weekly drops Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Mar 26, 2021.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

NOTE: spoilers permitted in this thread and may appear after the initial post here. (For entire season one of the series)

For like-minded nerds among us ... Amazon Prime is now streaming Invincible. Streams weekly (one episode per week) on Fridays. Invincible: Amazon Prime

New Episodes Fridays | INVINCIBLE is an adult animated superhero series that revolves around 17-year-old Mark Grayson, who’s just like every other guy his age — except his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet, Omni-Man. But as Mark develops powers of his own, he discovers his father’s legacy may not be as heroic as it seems.

I was lucky enough to preview it, found it to be quite good and am looking forward to watching the series.

Sweet, just confirmed, first three episodes up, so you can enjoy 3 episodes thus far.

logic88 likes this.
  2. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I asked mods to please tag the post / thread as spoilers allowed in the title since I missed that when I posted it here.

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    On the Adult animated label, this show would be fine for Teens and up. It is not family friendly stuff like The Croods, or Trolls.

It isn't that non-family friendly, but includes cartoon violence and such and is more aimed at adults so includes more violence, etc.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Its rating is 18+, which I assume means they think it's not for kids at all...

5. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002

Advertisements

I previously saw the first three episodes. They may have been edited since that time, some of the animation work wasn't complete, etc., but it was pretty much all there. There just wasn't much there that I would have said is all that much worse than any PG-13 content that exists now. A bit more language perhaps, but the graphic violence was cartoon violence. Some very destructive, but not like say sitting and watching 300 (or Nolan's Batman movies, etc.) where you are watching "real" people rather than cartoons and comic book characters.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, I'd say the violence went well beyond any PG-13 content! I'd say it pushes the boundaries of R-rated content...

When somebody gets [punched and you see their internal organs popping out (in graphic detail, that's beyond simple cartoon violence.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...the comics had the same cognitive dissonance between the light cartoony style and the appallingly brutal content. It's what made Invincible what it was. And what it was definitely wasn't for kids!

7. Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    I’ve finished two episodes and I’ll continue. The cast and the lack of other things to watch now will keep me into it. Not ready to say it’s great though.

8. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Really enjoying this show. Watched all three initial episodes. I'm a big fan of the comic, and they've nailed the tone.

terpfan1980 likes this.
  9. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Watched the first three episodes of this show yesterday, and loved it.

I knew nothing about this show. During the opening at the White House, I wondered if the two secret service guys were going to get killed. They seemed to be too happy, and I wondered if they were going to get squashed. Then just about the entire episode wasn't all that violent. Boy did that change with the ending.

10. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    It definitely gets violent, but really to me doesn't seem that much different than a lot of video games that you see played now (especially Call of Duty type games, etc.)

That said, it doesn't compare at all to say The Boys which is definitely mature audience only type content. (And I would concur that you really should try to make sure that if youngsters are viewing this that they understand what they are seeing, know it is in a comicbook world, etc.)

11. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't care that it is violent. If there were actual super powered beings in the real world, they would likely be more like this show than the MCU.

12. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    True that. Realistically, this just didn't strike me as being that bad. Not gratuitous at all, and certainly fitting in the overall story.

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    There have also been some references to sex (especially in episode 3) that might prompt an uncomfortable conversation with anyone below "older teen" age. Robert Kirkman and the rest of the creators seem to be about as perverted as I am.

14. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Just watched the first episode and liked it even though I think the animation could use some work.

I did notice some changes from the comic storyline so I'll be interested to see how far they diverge in future episodes.

15. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I wasn't going to watch this, thinking it was for kids, but I saw it was created by "The Walking Dead's" Robert Kirkman. Great show. I'm all in.
    [​IMG]

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Walking Dead and Invincible launched as comics almost simultaneously. Ironically, at the time it looked like Invincible was going to be the big hit and Walking Dead just a short-timer. But they were both successes, Walking Dead lasting 193 issues and Invincible 144.

Slightly odd, each book had an initial artist who drew the first few issues, than another who went on to do well over a hundred and became the definitive artist. (The original Walking Dead artist and Kirkman ultimately had a falling-out, with the artist, after the book had became a smash hit and spawned the TV series, suing for a cut of the money. The original Invincible guy left on better terms, coming back from time to time to do fill-ins and back-ups; for whatever reason, Invincible is almost all the professional comic art he's ever done.)

hairyblue likes this.
  17. logic88

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Just caught up with the 4th episode and so far I'm liking the changes they made. I haven't read the comic in awhile but IIRC, both Robot and Cecil wasn't shown to be so manipulative until much later in the series. Have they said how many seasons they are planning to do? They seem to be burning a lot of the storylines from the comics pretty quickly.

18. domat

domat Member

Apr 16, 2007
    So far I am loving this. I did really like the book too. The only complaint I have is Omni-man's voice doesn't fit for me.

I do wonder if a certain ex-president will make a return. oh and seance dog vs science dog. I wonder why they did that.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  19. logic88

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Huh. You edited your message. I guess you remember some of the differences? :)

The biggest difference for me is in the comics, Nolan wiped the floor with the Guardians with very little effort, IIRC. Not sure why they changed that unless they are depowering the Viltrumites?

20. logic88

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Huh. Episode 5's showdown with Machine Head had a lot more death that I remembered from the comic so I went back and browsed through the first 20 issues. I guess it's been quite a few years since I've read them as I've forgotten many details. The big reveal is certainly being handled differently in the series. Will Debbie be the one to discover what Nolan has been hiding?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021