Invasion - 1/25 spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cancermatt, Jan 25, 2006.

1. cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Well, I just caught up on the previous ep, no one responded, so here I am typing on the current ep, as well as last week's ep. From last week:

Who, exactly, has the power, from this ep's title? We all know the Sheriff *thinks* he has the power, but in the flashback from a previous ep, Christina (who killed her mother in law, among others), knows more than our anti-leader, the Sheriff. I was really hoping she'd stay behind bars and we'd learn more and more about her, who has been the most intriguing character so far, but she immediately gets thrown to the wolves (or should I say, alien devil rays?) and washes ashore to the "alien work camp" a changed person. So much for her giving us more tidbits.

We get random, mysterious, phone calls, with someone upset with the sheriff (I'm guessing).

Our trusty, one-armed deputy has vanished into the night, and haven't seen him for an episode.

We're led to presume the guys who beat up our Park Ranger Hero are on the sheriff's staff. Most likely aliens from the work camp.

Why is Mariel fighting the change? How is she fighting the change? What makes her so special from the rest?

We find out Kiera's boy toy has washed ashore to the work camp as well... might as well be called "Hybrids Gone Bad"... and they're mounting a traning camp for a mighty war (taking a nice cue from LOST).

I like the episodes going into different directions, never knowing what will happen next, but to find out who's in charge would be nice, and for the Sheriff to have a little humility would be a nice change of pace (possibly upcoming episodes).

This week: It seems the deputy has returned, first leaving the phone messages, leaving an "insane" letter in the sheriff's mailbox and presumably shooting him as well. Or is it Zerra? I think it's ole one arm.

Healey went to cuba after hurricane Charley, so the timline is supposedly now, I'm guessing. Eli Zerra killed the female conspiracy theorist. Interesting.

"They don't take you when you're sick" -- very interesting. Aliens are Darwinists, eh?

The military is involved, that is very conspiratorial.

Almost seemed like the show has become LOST (with flashbacks) and CSI (with a crime scene and all)...

The contents of the locked closet: one tiny box. I have a sinking feeling Tom cleaned it out, since he was seen at least once locking it up. I was hoping, from past eps. that Christina was in there, so he could keep tabs on her and get info from her. Oh well :)

m

2. fliptheflop

fliptheflop Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Is it possible that Rose is Tom's kid?

3. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm...they won't take you if you're sick. I guess that doesn't mean "defective" since one-armed man wasn't sick, but not perfect either.

Moreover, I'm surprised his arm hasn't grown back (since they seem to have healing powers?) Maybe that is yet to come, since in the preview for next week Tom says "these bodies are a hell of an upgrade" or something like that.

4. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I thought this was one of the best episodes of the series. The scene where the entry hall to his house morphed into a crashing plane was excellent. Then there is the great fakeout where you see him in the hospital and he is told his wife is dead. Then we see a kid visiting him who from behind looks just like Rose, but then we learn it is a young Kira. Cool twist. Really great acting by Fichtner in this one.

Interesting to learn that Mariel never even met the real Tom. Nice touch with the rose in the box. Young Kira looks like Rose, a rose symbolizes their love, fliptheflop's theory about Rose being Tom's daughter is starting to look like a distinct possibility. That would make her half-hybrid.

The episode lost of bit of steam in the second half when they started to shift the focus to Russell and Larkin, but it was still a good one.

5. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    I don't think Rose is part of the hybrid clan, or the characters would have said something. But they were all afraid the hybrid parents would kill the kids, never a hint that the kids were ones themselves...

6. fliptheflop

fliptheflop Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I dont think shes a hybrid but I do think theres a chance that Rose isn't Russell's daughter and is acutally Tom's.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The funny thing is that based on complexion and hair, Rose absolutely looks like Russell's child and Jesse looks like Tom's.

I was trying to get to a few things after watching this ep so I had to do some selective FF'ing -- just a couple of minutes, but I thought the ep could use a trim, as it turned out. Once we got established what was going on, there wasn't much need to continue the slow "Tom is disoriented" pace.

Anyway, Larkin is sure becoming difficult to like. Not that her attitude and actions aren't understandable, and Russell hasn't exactly been a model husband the past few eps, but... still. Russell is at least trying to keep everything and everyone together, and Larkin is determined to bust it all apart.

Tom definitely cleaned out the closet. No reason to keep it locked and a source of friction with Mariel if the only thing he had in there was the rose.

8. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Definitely. Russell is Cuban, and in the past I've reflected that Rose looks like she could pass for half Cuban. Jesse, not so much. But now it seems Rose might be Tom's child, so that is kind of weird. Maybe they just thought of this twist recently.

If fliptheflop called it that's the second time someone here called a twist way in advance. The first time was the one-armed guy getting replicated and coming back with both arms. Read about that here weeks before it happened.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm trying to picture Larkin's threatened expose - "... but the big story on Action News is that the Sherrif and his wife are aliens! I have absolutely no proof other than the word of my husband who hates the Sherrif because he stole his wife and my crazy-ass, conspiracy believing brother. Film at eleven."

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    one thing I try not to do is figure out who could be who's kid on any tv show since they rarely get it right

of course all bets are off if you are watching "am i your daughter" on lifetime and the whole plot revolves around it.

As far as the expose on tv, wouldn't someone of presumable intelligence realize she would just look like a kook? No video/no audio proof of any kind, just that he 'does weird things'.

11. jimest

jimest New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree, I am trying to like this show but it is getting harder to like it every episode.

Jim

12. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Larkin brings only her looks to the table... She has nothing else to offer her family or the newsroom. Truely an idiot...

I personally liked most of this episode. My wife had already watched it this week before I saw it, when Tom told Mariel to go get the box I said, 'Hey, that is cool' My wife had a disgusted look on her face and said 'what until you see what is inside'.

Pretty stupid that it was the rose... Ugh.. I was hoping for an alien Pickled Punk or something like that...

Otherwise, I think they advanced the story very well. Multiple factions of aliens...

13. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another great episode. I also imaginged Larkin being carted away in a straight jacket if her story had aired as planned.

14. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    It was just bizarre that her hybrid producer wanted final approval before a live piece? Ok, so we're supposed to think the producer can pull the plug on Larkin, but it is a live feed, how's that going to look?

15. jking

jking Become who you are.

Mar 23, 2005
    Kentucky
    OK, maybe I missed something, or I'm just dense, but what threw me for a loop in this ep is that while Tom was obviously supposed to be remembering when he went down in the plane, he appeared to already know at the time that Mariel was his wife (he told past Mariel that she was the reason he survived) and he seemed to be surprised to see a young Kira and not older Kira... it's like his present day self was walking around in a memory of the past. I get that, dreams can play tricks on you and such, but in the footage that Larkin was viewing, there was obviously a connection established between Mariel and Tom back then, almost like his memories that we saw were actually what happened and not some tricks his mind was playing on him... so is it possible that he knew even back then, maybe subconsciously, what was going to happen in the future?

16. cancermatt

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Alright, now you guys got me confused. How do we know that Larkin's producer boss is a hybrid? I don't remember that tidbit ever. And I too was a little confused with Tom's flashback story, I can only guess/hope that the next episode will shed a little light onto that one.

Also, 2 stinkin' weeks until a new ep! :(

Guess we get to mull over things a bit until then...

17. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    She was one of the people who was found naked and unconcious after the hurricane like all the other people at Mariel's support group.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    In one of the early eps, we learned that she was among those "pulled from the water", as the show likes to say.

19. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Tom was already hybrid when he met Mariel.

That means if he's Rose's father, then she IS half-hybrid.

That's the point being made.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What are we, about 13 or 14 episodes into this show? Jack Bauer would have killed about half the aliens by now. Russell better get moving.