Invalid root partition after upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TivoTortoise, Nov 26, 2006.

1. TivoTortoise

TivoTortoise New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Ages ago I upgraded my Tivo to add a second drive from Maxtor which failed after a few years so I upgraded again to a larger 160Gb Seagate. The Maxtor was under warranty so I got a 120Gb replacement (refurbished) which has been in the cupboard ever since.

Now my wife is complaining about a whine from Tivo which I reckon is the original Quantum fireball nearing the end of its life. So I figured I could use the Maxtor to replace. My first attempt using dd didn't work so I downloaded Maxtor tools & checked the drive was OK and reset it to the factory state before trying again.

I jumpered the Quantum to master hda and with the Maxtor as slave hdb I copied using dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k Hours later this reported the blocks in and blocks out matched. I then put the Maxtor back into Tivo to check before expand/marrying & got a message on the cachecard screen : ERROR: Invalid root partition table

After my first attempt failed I'd used TWP to check the swap file: SwapTotal = 130684; Swapfree = 126792. Which I understood was just OK for 160Gb + 120Gb - and I haven't expanded yet to 120Gb anyway

The original Quantum is back in Tivo & thankfully its working - but I still want to change it before it fails. Where am I going wrong please?

Thanks, Dave

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Never seen that error. Have you unlocked the Quantum and the Maxtor using DiskUtil?

3. TivoTortoise

TivoTortoise New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    First time I tried this I used shift page up to review the Linux startup messages after I booted & saw there was a problem with the Quantum being locked, so I used qunlock that I had on a floppy in my box of Tivo tricks.

Second time around when I reviewed the startup messages everything looked fine. Both drives were recognised with their correct sizes. The dd copy seemed to work - there was disk activity during the copy & at the end and I got the message to say the blocks in matched the blocks out. So could locked disks still be the problem?

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I doubt it.

If you had a proper backup of both drives I would suggest triggering a GSOD to try to sort out what is hopefully minor corruption on the new A drive. However, without a backup that could leave you with a busted system and no way of restoring it.

Putting the original Quantum back in the TiVo and using it with the original B drive will now have rendered your copy of the Quantum invalid as the MFS will most likely have changed in the meantime, so I wouldn't advise trying the new drive again for fear of corrupting the system entirely.

If you expanded the B drive from 120gb to 160gb and your A drive has always been the original 40gb Quantum then you should have 3 MFS partition pairs in total, spanning 200gb. I would suggest getting a "big" 200gb drive - eg. Seagate (not Samsung as they calculate the size differently) - and doing an MFS backup->restore of your complete system to that. You can then add the 120gb drive as a B drive if you wish to.

You can check the number of partitions in use by typing mfsinfo /dev/hdX /dev/hdY (where hdX is your A drive and hdY your B drive) after booting from the MfsTools CD. If it says the volume can be expanded 3 more times then you have 3 partitions in use.