Introducing TiVO Edge

38K views 283 replies 93 participants last post by  Mikeguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Product Purple Lighting Font Violet

TiVO EDGE Antenna (OTA) 4 tuner 2TB HDD $349.99
Annual service $69.95 ($6.95/mo) or All-In service $249.99

TiVO EDGE Cable 6 tuner 2TB HDD $399.99
Annual service $149.95 ($14.95/mo) or All-In service $549.99
It's made for cable subscribers and cord cutters alike.
Both the cable and the antenna model boast easy one-screen navigation between apps and all major streaming services, live and online TV, and recordings. They both have superior Dolby audio and visual quality, along with all the fan favorites like Auto Skip/SkipMode, OnePass, and universal search.

For cable TV enthusiasts, TiVo EDGE for cable provides a service unlike others and allows for a seamless cable experience on top of all of that. It includes a 2 TB hard drive (up to 300 HD hours) along with 6 tuners.Introducing TiVo EDGE - TiVo Blog

For cord cutters, TiVo EDGE helps you find and record hundreds of free over-the-air HD shows that you can get with an antenna. Then you can skip eligible ads or set your TiVo EDGE to skip commercials automatically. It has a 2 TB hard drive (up to 300 HD hours) and 4 tuners. Think of all the money you'll save having access to ad-skippable content from all of the major networks, every month. Make sure to pick up a good HD antenna (we recommend something like this).

See less See more
#18 ·
TiVO EDGE Antenna (OTA) 4 tuner 2TB HDD $349.99
Annual service $69.95 ($6.95/mo) or All-In service $249.99

TiVO EDGE Cable 6 tuner 2TB HDD $399.99
Annual service $149.95 ($14.95/mo) or All-In service $549.99
I had a faint hope that the new ad injection schemes would lead to more reasonable device and service pricing, but doesn't look like that's happening. So we've got:
  • High device & service fee pricing
  • New ads appearing before recordings and probably more to come in various places in the UI
  • STILL no Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, etc. support
  • Standard TiVo OS and extremely limited app platform (No Youtube TV, Philo, PS Vue, etc.)
  • No ATSC 3 support for OTA
  • No on-demand support for most cable systems
Hard pass.

#42 · (Edited)
It might be anecdotal, but it seems like there was an uptick in failing Bolt drives being reported here on the boards (over previous generations), and it may be due to them not being AV rated. Right now, AV/Video rated 2.5" drives are limited to 2 TB and that seems to be the driver for this choice. Ted made comments about this in the past.

Or they could've gone back to 3.5" and nobody would have cared about the extra inch added to the case... but that's Tivo.

#44 ·
It might be anecdotal, but it seems like there was an uptick in failing Bolt drives being reported here on the boards (over previous generations), and it may be due to the fact that none of them were AV rated. AV/Video rated 2.5" drives are limited to 2 TB at this point, and that seems to be the driver for this choice. Ted made comments about this in the past.

Or they could've gone back to 3.5" and nobody would have been angry about the extra quarter inch added to the case size... but that's Tivo.
^ This. Although, it's not just TiVo--how many smartphones sacrifice a headphone jack for the sake of thinness, when the phone already is incredibly thin? Let alone, phones and other portable devices sacrificing the ability to replace a battery, again for extra thinness? Of course, even more the case when we're talking about a stationary electronic device.

#55 · (Edited)
For Bolt owners the modest CPU bump, Atmos and DV support are barely worth $95, much less another $950.

Roamio and older customers, I kinda get it IF their cable operator is starting to provide 4K content over QAM they care about watching. If not, they (and OTA users) should just get a $50 stick for FAR superior 4k/app support.

Otherwise, Edge is added to the "Why do I exist?" pile with the 2-tuner Premiere and caffeine-free Mountain Dew.

#77 ·
Roamio and older customers, I kinda get it IF their cable operator is starting to provide 4K content over QAM they care about watching. If not, they (and OTA users) should just get a $50 stick for FAR superior 4k/app support
Are there any cable operators distributing 4K channels via QAM? Even if there are, a 4K capable Mini should be able to work with a non-4K Roamio - similar to how Directv uses a non 4K capable DVR with a 4K capable client. Whether Tivo allows such a thing is another matter, but there is no technical roadblock - when a tuner decodes a QAM channel it doesn't know or care whether there are 4K, HD or SD channels inside, or whether they use MPEG2, MPEG4 or HEVC compression. Its just bits, and only means more bits need to be passed to the Mini for a 4K channel.

#32 · (Edited)
As previously thought, does almost nothing new over the Bolt and wants $950 for it. Yep I'll get right on that.

Least possible effort. Same dead app platform.

How do the thermals work? The images seem to lack any ventilation unless it's hidden on the bottom with only millimeters of space afforded by the feet.

Budget OTA users can standby for a future 2-tuner 500GB model if they so desire. No idea when, but it passed through the FCC.

#60 ·
How do the thermals work? The images seem to lack any ventilation unless it's hidden on the bottom with only millimeters of space afforded by the feet.
Or they could've gone back to 3.5" and nobody would have cared about the extra inch added to the case... but that's Tivo.
The odd PS4-esque shape misled me into thinking it was about the size of a PS4 from the earlier photos, but it's smaller than I imagined. Smaller than a flattened-out bolt even. I really don't get why they're stubbornly sticking to smaller cases than they need and hamstringing themselves with 2.5" drives as a result.

For anyone with a Roamio or Bolt that wants Atmos and Vision, why wouldn't you just get a $50 Fire TV Stick 4K? As a side benefit you also get significantly more and better apps. Spending $950 for those 2 minor features while being stuck with Tivo's terrible app ecosystem seems insane to me.
And those Fire Stick 4Ks have been going on sale for $25-$35 pretty regularly since Prime Day. They are excellent endpoints for a Channels DVR.

#66 ·
NOTE: I updated initial post with new hardware information thanks to Ted:

#29 ·
Looks slick, but this seems like too little too late. Also, after my bad experiences with Bolt hardware quality, I would prefer to wait for reports from Edge owners. We're counting on you, @Radiolarian! :)

#87 ·
#27 ·
TiVo.com no longer lists a Bolt cable version, but still has Bolt OTA. Roamio OTA also gone.

The "Streaming Features" for the Edge for cable says "Cast shows from your mobile device to TV". I wonder just what that means.

Physical dimensions might be different for the two boxes:

Edge OTA: 11.4 x 7.3 x 1.8
Edge cable: 10.625 x 8.0 x 1.5

However, the Edge OTA dimensions are suspiciously the same as the Bolt, so I suspect somebody goofed after copying the Bolt OTA specs and updating them for the Edge OTA.

#48 ·
Wow. If I had to write an announcement of Edge it would be titled "TiVo Doubles Down on Disappointment".

First, the lackluster, failure-prone Bolt and now a small refinement of it, Edge. Low capacity hard drives, poor steaming options along with being overpriced is so WTF. Why did TiVo start at the bottom of our wishlists i.e. Dolbyvision and Atmos? Those are nice to have but they don't rank within the top 5 of requested features going back a decade.

TiVo needs to find away to make everyone want to upgrade from their lifetimes Roamios and Edge (so far) is not the answer. My Roamios Pro had been rocking a 6TB hard drive for 5 years now. Why would I pay another $1K for less?

#43 ·
I'd never consider this because of TE4, but what is the reason why ANYONE would want this? How is it better than the Bolt? I imagine it has a more recent CPU so it is faster, but the Bolt isn't exactly slow. Other than that it seems to have the exact same feature set as the Bolt. Why did they bother with the new model? Wouldn't it make sense for them to keeping selling Bolts there was a real reason to rev to a new model - like adding ATSC 3.0?

#49 ·
I'd never consider this because of TE4, but what is the reason why ANYONE would want this? How is it better than the Bolt? I imagine it has a more recent CPU so it is faster, but the Bolt isn't exactly slow. Other than that it seems to have the exact same feature set as the Bolt. Why did they bother with the new model? Wouldn't it make sense for them to keeping selling Bolts there was a real reason to rev to a new model - like adding ATSC 3.0?
That's why I'll probably never buy another Tivo. I'll make my Roameo and Bolt last as long as possible. If I have to use the same UI as the cable company DVR, I might as well save the extra money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.