Introducing a Different Kind of Tablo OTA DVR - Tablo DUAL HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by shwru980r, Nov 12, 2020.

1. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Sheffield Steve likes this.
  2. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    This device is a surprise to me. I hope they are not walking away from the whole house DVR (as Channel Master abandoned the DVR+ for the Stream+).

Better to work on PSIP support, ATSC 3.0 support, and streaming services support for the Tablo TV DVR.

PSIP is already important in markets where there is no high speed internet (like my sister’s camp). It will become more important when people abandon PCs for smart phones. There is no competition in this area now that the DVR+ is gone.

I think it would be cool if a future Tablo TV device collected and streamed ATSC 3.0 to Rokus and Fire TVs. It would be even cooler if it provided PSIP guide services to Tablo TV DVRs.

I assume the reason the Tablo TV DVR does not integrate OTT services is that it is a linux box. So is the Roku. They should license their tech to add OTT to the Tablo TV EPG.

Amazon’s Recast is a seriously flawed device, but I love that Philo, Pluto, and HBO all show up in the EPG.

I do not think this is a product that will win many fans and I don’t think it’s a product they should invest a lot of resources in when there are so many other opportunities to make their ecosystem better.

3. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Tablo has the OTT app that Tivo refuses to supply, so their app can used with other streaming devices. They are definitely going after Tivo cord cutter customers. They should have offered hybrid ATSC 3.0/1.0 like the HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K. Tablo offers a day of free guide data without paying for service and manual recordings, but you can pay a monthly fee for guide data and another monthly fee for commercial skip.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I know. I have one. It would be nice if one did not have to unload Tablo TV and load Philo to see what is on.

5. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

You could use a second streaming device and toggle between the inputs on your TV.

Dan Cour likes this.
  6. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I could do a lot of things -- TiVo and Recast are two. I just do not think the Tablo TV DVR products are the best available options. I am troubled that they are squandering resources on a product that is already available rather than investing on their not-quite-perfect flagship. I suspect that may be because they do not sell enough Tablo TV DVRs and are looking to move on to a streaming media set top box that integrates OTA...just like everyone else.

7. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    This product is what is needed to move more people to Tablo that just want to turn on the device, see their recordings and watch TV. However, with ATSC 3.0 around the corner, it might have arrived too late.

shwru980r likes this.
  8. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    They are trying to attract customers from niche markets.

1. Customers in remote areas without high speed internet so that they can just download the guide data without being confused with apps that will never work for them and just use the DVR interface on their TV without having to buy a streaming device. This might be a good device for an RV that has a big screen TV, because you could update the guide data from a smart phone hotspot.

2. Customers who want the highest quality MPEG-2 video and can share the video with multiple TVs over WiFi using a cheap streaming device. instead of having to pay through the nose for the Mini Vox/Lux and a WiFi adapter that has substandard streaming apps.

9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    But from what I've read ATSC 1.0 will be around for at least 5 more years, but the video quality of the main HD channel might be reduced to 480i. With the proliferation of sub-channels, most of the channels on ATSC 1.0 are sub-channels and are already 480i. If you could get 5 years out of this device, that might be pretty good.

Another issue might be when they move all the ATSC 1.0 channels to a single transmitter and some people might have degraded or lost reception. I think many people have a local station that has degraded or non existent reception and they would chose the worst station to host ATSC 1.0.

10. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    ATSC 1.0 may be around for more than 5 years, but that will come quickly. I would want more than 5 years from a DVR that I have purchased and also purchased a lifetime subscription to.
    How long has the Bolt been around now.... I still consider my 2 Bolts a relatively new item, but have had them for a number of years now.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    i read the name as "dual HDMI" and was confused. lol.

I feel like there isn't a great OTA dvr solution out there these days.

So I just catch OTA live or not at all. And that works really good actually. lol.

12. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    TiVo, Recast, Plex to name a few.