Internet locks up when I plug ethernet cable into Tivo. Need help imminently.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by legendry, Oct 30, 2020.

1. legendry

legendry New Member

Jul 4, 2020

Advertisements

Tivo series 4 and Arris modem both issued from cable provider.

This is very strange but when I plug in ethernet cable into Tivo, I lose internet on both of my PCs. I get the little yellow triangle in the system tray. I'm trying to transfer recordings to my PC with Tivo Desktop.

As soon as I unplug ethernet cable from the Tivo, my internet connection works again.

Also, one of my PCs (Windows 10) locks up completely (mouse/keyboard inputs, screen freezes, etc) when I try to resolve internet issue by running the Windows troubleshooter but it does look like it is attempting to fix it.

Another thing, I noticed on my bandwidth meter that there is about 10 MB/sec consistent transfer when I had Tivo Desktop open which I think might have to do with the lock up but not sure.

Is it a sign the Tivo is dying or is it something else?

We are switching internet companies sometime today and I'm desperately trying to transfer my recordings cause I will obviously lose them.

2. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    The one thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that your TiVo is set for a "static IP" that is in conflict with one of the IPs already assigned to another device on your network. With the TiVo disconnected, try going to the network settings and change it to "Obtain a network address automatically," or "DHCP" or something akin to that. I don't remember the specific dialogue that TiVo uses. Then plug the TiVo ethernet back in.

Just a wild a**ed guess here.

wtherrell, jcondon and Steve like this.
  3. legendry

legendry New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Well, after almost 4 hours of trying various things, I decided to set back up my router and plugging my PCs and Tivo into it (had speed issues with it in recent past), instead of modem and everything seems fine again. Not sure if this was a coincidence or what. Was there a recent tivo outage by any chance in the past few hours? And could this have been the cause?

How would an IP conflict have caused 10 MB/sec consistent download activity from somewhere on both PCs simultaneously, and complete lockup on one PC while trying to resolve internet issue? I had Tivo desktop set up on both PCs and at first I thought perhaps that was a bad idea to have running on two PCs, I even thought that maybe it was trying to parse/initialize the transfers in the queue but even after clearing the queue it was happening. That seemed really strange.

I am fairly certain I had Tivo set to obtain network address automatically, but speaking of which I did have issues in the past few months of Minis OCCASIONALLY not connecting to host in a timely manner after a power/network outage. In just recent weeks I figured out how to fix that - by going to the Minis and choosing the "connect to MOCA" and going through the setup.

4. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Like I said, just a guess.

5. legendry

legendry New Member

Jul 4, 2020

Advertisements

Yeah I know, it was just a question I was throwing out there for anyone viewing. I appreciate the help though.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe MoCA was active on your Modem, too and there was a 'loop' being created when you added the Ethernet.

Although, if you were putting your Gateway in to 'bypass' mode, that would disable MoCA.

-KP

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your symptoms match kpeters59’s hypothesis...

fcfc2 likes this.