Internal Temp range for Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by FloridaEd, Dec 10, 2006.

1. FloridaEd

FloridaEd New Member

Dec 10, 2006

Advertisements

I can't seem to find any official documentation or posts specifying the acceptable internal temperature range for my new series 3. My unit runs about 51 deg C inside my cabinet and about 49 deg C resting on a table outside the cabinet. These temps seem rather high, although the Tivo system info reports these temps as Normal. Ambient temp in the room is about 75 deg F - Tivo S3, I believe, is spec'd to 95 deg F external ambient.

Does anyone know what the max internal temp of the series 3 is spec'd to?

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have no idea what the max temp is, but I can tell you that mine runs at about 48 degrees C in a 70 degree F room.

3. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    'Nuff said... :)

4. FloridaEd

FloridaEd New Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Maharg18

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I was concerned that I was on the hairy edge of an internal temperature problem. I'm glad to see that someone else is reading these high internal temperatures. My concern is that if the unit is close to the Max temp when placed in the cabinet, I may need an auxiliary fan to improve the airflow. Also, running the unit near its max temp is usually not a good idea for commercial or military equipment since the MTBF may be significantly reduced, therefore reducing the life of the unit.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

My S3 typically runs anywhere from 42C to 46C in 70F room.

6. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    I think the max temp in spec is 55C. I've never seen mine go above 50C.

7. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Yep, that's right where mine runs too.

8. FlippedBit

FlippedBit New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Mountain...
    Mine is running at 42C in a 64F room.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    64F? Brrrrrr... :)

I just noticed that my Series 3 is running at 51C (123.8F) which is a lot higher than my Series 1 which is running at 37C (98.6F). We had an abnormally warm day here so it's 74F now (64F outside).

I'm a bit concerned about the higher temperature and the effects on the disk drives longevity, but looks like the disk drive is rated for 41F-131F. The Series 3 does run substantially hotter than both of my Series 1 units in the same location.

Scott

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Footnote to my previous post: my S3 was at 40C this morning which is the coolest I've ever seen it. But normal range is 42-46C in a room that ranges from 60-72 degrees.

11. joelkfla

joelkfla Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Orlando area
    Mine is usually around 46-47C. I'm in Florida, so room temp is typically 73-75F during the day, when we're not having a cold front.

It runs about 4 to 5C higher than my early S2.

And I haven't installed it in a cabinet yet; it's just sitting on a table near the TV.

12. suzook

suzook Member

Oct 22, 2006
    long island
    my s3 with an upgraded 500gb drive runs at 46c outside my cabinet, and as high as 58c inside a cabinet with no exhaust fan. i have installed an exhaust fan and it now runs at 50c. btw, when it was at 58c, it stated it was still at normal temps.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My three S3 units range from 42c to 46c in 72F rooms. The one that sits on top of an HR10-250 is the hottest at 46c.

14. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I actually searched to find this thread for the same purpose. Mine is located in a cabinet and with the door shut it runs around 48c and up to 50c when watching on the big screen with the receiver on. I guess I'll not worry for now.

15. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Mine runs at 51C in the cabinet (doors closed) and at 47C when the doors are open.

16. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    My S3 is at 46-49C in an open front cabinet with room temperature at 64-70F.

I was thinking I could drop the internal temp a couple of degrees by piping the exaust air from the S3 fan out of the cabinet. I haven't figured out a what sort of duct or tube to use and how to secure it to the back of the fan grill. Any ideas?

17. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    My S3 boxes run at about 46-48 degrees and are mounted insde a cabinet with an open back. Ambient room temp is 75 degrees. I have two of them one stacked on top of the other. The one on top runs at the same temp as the one on the bottom. That wasn't the case with my old DirecTiVo boxes. So the S3 seems to tolerate "stacking" better than my old ones did.

The box itself feels quite cool compared to my old DirecTIVos. I think the geeks at TiVo came up with a better cooling system in these boxes. It's also much quieter than my old boxes. All I can hear now is the Comcast DVR chugging away... I can't hear the TIVo boxes at all.

18. T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006

I used a 3.25" diameter mailing tube, with enough length cut to fit precisely around the fan/exhaust port on the back of the S3 and the the back of the cabinet - in effect creating a dedicated "tunnel" for the warm exhaust air to exit.

This reduced overall internal temperatures by an average of 2 deg C. Glad I did it, it's invisible, cost nothing but the effort to cut the hole in the cab. and the length of tubing.

Piece of Cake. Go for it.