Intermittent Gateway Not Found Message

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jschefdog, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. jschefdog

    jschefdog New Member

    3
    0
    Jan 13, 2007

    Advertisements

    Posting this in case it may help others. I searched the Tivo web site and these forums but did not find a solution.

    I got a Tivo S3 for Christmas 2006. I set it up with the official Tivo WiFi USB adapter. My network setup is a Netgear WGR614 router and WG602 Wireless access point in the room next to the Tivo. Everything worked fine except that after a few days the daily update failed with a message "Gateway Not Found". The status indicated the WiFi was connected with excellent signal strength. I ran a connection test which also failed. I ran the network setup again without changing any settings. Ran the connection test and it passed. Connected for an update and everything was fine.

    A few days later, the update failed with the same message. This went on for some time. Every few days I would check the Network settings and after 2-3 days the update would fail with the same message. I tried various changes including setting a fixed IP on both the Tivo and my Router. I upgraded the rounter and access point to the latest firmware. The problem still occurred every 2-3 days.

    The solution I found was to disable the DHCP client on the access point and manually set a fixed IP Address, subnet mask and Default Gateway address for the access point. I also assigned the fixed IP for the Tivo but I'm not sure that is necessary. It has been almost 2 weeks now and no update failures so I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed.
     
  2. T-Shee

    T-Shee Member

    182
    3
    Sep 22, 2006
    I had the exact same problem, though the fix (for me) was different.

    I found dozens of wireless networks were on the same channel that my router was using and switched to an unused channel. (I'm in NYC, Manhattan, the world's capital of radio frequency interference). That only worked for a while, about a day.

    Then I changed my Multicast rate on my router from a default setting of 2 (Mbps?) to 6. That, for whatever reason, worked perfectly. My Tivo Wireless G has been 100% solid ever since. (Theoretically, the Multicast rate should not effect the basic handshake between the access point and the router. It should only affect the streaming rate, i.e. video downloads, TivoCasts, Live365 streaming music, etc.)

    Increasing the multicast rate will reduce the wireless range, but may improve network performance. In my "noisey" environment, it improved things dramatically - much more than switching channels.
     
  3. ewilts

    ewilts Who, me?

    1,005
    0
    Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    I had the same problem. The signal would also gradually degrade over time until I pulled the USB cable from the Linksys wireless adapter (not the official TiVo adapter), plugged it back in again, and it would be fine for a while. Then anywhere from days to weeks later, I would get my "gateway not found" message. I finally gave up and purchased a pair of Netgear Powerline Ethernet adapters and it's been flawless ever since. Sometimes wireless just sucks.

    .../Ed
     
  4. jschefdog

    jschefdog New Member

    3
    0
    Jan 13, 2007
    Interesting. I never really knew what the Multicast rate setting does. If the problem comes back I will give that a try. Thanks.
     
  5. jschefdog

    jschefdog New Member

    3
    0
    Jan 13, 2007

    Advertisements

    As it turned out this was not a long term solution. After a while I started getting the Gateway Not Found messages again. Sometimes it would take a few days, sometimes a week or two, but eventually it would always fail to connect. I could not find a setting named Multicast rate which worked for T-Shee.

    After months of trying different settings I finally found what seems to be a real solution. Connection has worked everyday for several weeks now, much longer than it ever did before. There is a setting on my WG602 Access Point called "Preamble Type". I had it set to Short. The description indicated that Short was faster, but Long might provide a more reliable connection. Changing this setting to Long seems to have fixed the problem with my Tivo. Hopefully this info will help someone avoid all the time and effort that it took me to find a solution.
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements